Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Monday, February 20, 2006
Uneventful
Not an exciting day today -- just writing for most of the day, realizing how much I really wanted to do with this "short" statistics chapter that gets longer by the minute. I will finish it tomorrow for sure. I've found lately that I reach a point in the day where I just can't think about this dissertation stuff anymore without getting seriously crabby, so after about 4-5 hours of work (some of it quality work, some of it interrupted by frequent email and blog checkups or Amazon.com wish list creation) I have to stop and do something else.

Late in the day I decided to work on one of my syllabi for the fall, and had a lot of fun doing it. This is the upper-division course for which I'm designing a simulation, and although it's pretty complicated, I think the students will think it's cool and will learn a lot from doing it. I'm now trying to decide if I should have them write a final research paper in addition to the simulation or if the simulation itself will be plenty of work for them; I'm leaning toward the latter. The way it's going the simulation will be fairly intense and demand a fair amount of outside preparation and research, so I think I can skip the final paper altogether. Besides, there are going to be two or three short (2-3 page) writing assignments before the simulation, so that should be enough when added to the exams.

Now ST is in bed and T is on the computer in the family room, playing some inane computer game. He can be fairly obsessive sometimes, but it comes in waves -- for example, he has this NFL computer game that he recently rediscovered, and he's been playing it like crazy (e.g., all night, every night!) for the past week. All of a sudden, though, that will wear off and the game won't be touched again for another year. It's like he has to get it out of his system before he can let it go. (I'm ready for it to go, as I despise the NFL. Just hearing the noise of the football game when I go downstairs to check on the laundry makes me cranky.) I'm not obsessive about things like that, or maybe I am, but they're useful things. (You know, like scrubbing the kitchen sink!) I think that's a difference between T and me: I can't do something as a hobby that's unproductive -- I like to bake (creating baked goods!), like to read non-fiction (to learn!), blog (providing intensely interesting material for your reading pleasure!) or even clean (because I'm a sick freak!). T, on the other hand, loves to occasionally play a computer game (I can't stand them!), watch movies (even bad ones!), or read about sports (what's the point?!). Hmmm.

I'm going to do a little more writing before bed, I think, and then curl up with the cat and get some sleep. Another full day of writing awaits me tomorrow, with the reward of ST on Wednesday.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 2/20/2006 09:18:00 PM  
2 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 2:21 AM, Blogger Leah said…

    providing intensely interesting material for your reading pleasure!

    and we're enjoying it :)

    Glad to see you're letting yourself see the need for a break :)

     
  • At 11:07 AM, Blogger MusicalMom said…

    Congratulations on your progress!!! It sounds like your course will be a lot of fun to take. :)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER