Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Sunday, February 12, 2006
Perfect Boy
Some days I look at ST and I just can't help myself: I reach out and pull him to me, snuggling his sweet-smelling head under my chin, wrapping my long arms around his back and relishing in the feeling of his two little arms pressing onto my shoulders.

This weekend was a perfect ST weekend: not a single timeout, no tantrums, agreeable "OK, Mom!" or "That's a good idea, Mom!" to everything I said. T surprised ST and me on Friday night with tickets to the circus, and so on Saturday we bundled up and ventured north to the convention center to see it. There weren't too many people there on a Saturday morning, so ST got to see elephants and a huge boa constrictor up close, got to "buy" his own popcorn and choose our seats. It was a great time: the circus itself was a little hokey (I think after you pass about 5-6 years old, circuses lose some of their magic), but the look on ST's face when the tigers growled or the trapeze artists swung through the air with the greatest of ease was priceless. He watched a clown juggling seven tennis balls and exclaimed, "Mom, I can't do that! Can you do that? Can you SEE that, Mom?" He was genuinely impressed. The highlight, though, was when we forked over the cash to allow ST to ride the elephant -- despite the fact that T and I felt somehow "dirty" for making this elephant cart around our child for two minutes, we couldn't resist the fact that ST was jumping up and down, calling "I love you, elephant!" from his spot in line, and told the animal trainer to "be nice to my elephant."

We then took ST out to lunch where he was again a perfect gentleman. This morning at Mass he was equally as good, and even crossed his arms on his chest when he went up for Communion with me so that Father would give him the Children's Blessing and said his ritual "Hi, Jesus!" when we passed the statue of Jesus on our way back to our seats. He ate all of his lunch at home and took a nap without a fuss, and then he and I went to Target in search of some Valentines for him to bring to daycare (soccer-, basketball-, and baseball-themed cards, of course). After that, we went to visit my best friend (the mother of ST's best friend, M) and their new baby who is almost three weeks old. ST was again just a delightful boy, telling M that he loved her and would bring her "a Valen-time on Tuesday!"

It's times like this that I feel like I've done right by the world. My dissertation isn't perfect, my house isn't always clean, and I'm not always pleasant, but doggone it, I can raise a wonderful child. That's quite an accomplishment, I'd say.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 2/12/2006 07:46:00 PM  
3 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 9:07 PM, Blogger phd me said…

    Absolutely. And in the long run, that accomplishment is much more important than the dissertation, no?

     
  • At 10:52 AM, Blogger MusicalMom said…

    I totally agree. Your post brought tears to my eyes. :) Aren't kids wonderful?

     
  • At 1:24 PM, Blogger Dr. Mon said…

    Awww this is too sweet.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER