Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Friday, February 17, 2006
"I've Read Your Chapter, And..."
I always dread the emails from my dissertation chairs. I know that they want me to turn in a professional product, I know that they push me, and I know that their advice is good. But I still hate the nervous, I'm-Going-To-Vomit feeling just before I read one of their emails that begins, "I've read your chapter, and..."

I got an email today like that, and this time the end of the sentence was, "... I think you've done a pretty good job here." Excellent! Of course, Prof. G. had hundreds of comments for me (he always does -- he's the founder and editor of one of the major journals in my field, and ALWAYS has his editor hat on, even when he's reading his email!), but overall he liked the chapter and thought it illustrated my main argument well. Thank God. The major suggestions he had were organizational. I can deal with that!

Sometimes I wish I had different advisors, advisors who would rubber stamp chapters as they came in. I have the opposite: the two most perfectionistic faculty members in the department. When I told my friends who my advisors were, they all gasped in horror. "Your life is going to be HELL!" they warned. But you know, it hasn't been too bad. Sure, they're brutally honest about everything I write, and although that's maddening at times it's also good to to know that their compliments are genuine. If I get a "good job," I really feel like I've done just that. And that's a nice feeling.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 2/17/2006 04:15:00 PM  
6 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 5:05 PM, Blogger ArticulateDad said…

    ...it's also good to to know that their compliments are genuine. If I get a "good job," I really feel like I've done just that.

    That's true, and a good thing to remember. I've blogged about how frustrated I have been from the lack of feedback I got on my dissertation. But one of my committee members, who is notoriously critical of writing has gone out of his way to tell me that he thought the dissertation was well written. It might not be much, but at least I know it's genuine.

    You keep writing. And it'll be done before you know it.

     
  • At 6:29 PM, Blogger MusicalMom said…

    Congratulations! Praise means so much more when it comes from those who don't dole it out with abandon. :)

     
  • At 7:10 PM, Blogger Dr. Mon said…

    Go you!!! I'm glad you have helpful advisors that are going to help you take your work where it needs to be. YEAH PROFESSOR ME on another great chapter!!

     
  • At 10:10 PM, Blogger Laura said…

    Yay!

     
  • At 12:20 PM, Blogger Lilian said…

    Oh, I'm really happy for you. Right now I just dread hearing back from my advisor, because even though his comments are usually positive, he never gives me the feedback I need (about the structure and content - he's all about formatting and grammar, yikes).

    I don't comment much, but I have been reading you for a while. (I am an ABD with 2 sons, almost 4 and 21 months)...

    Oh, and I'm glad I read your comments, I'll go read Articulate Dad right now :)

     
  • At 6:10 PM, Blogger Prof. Me said…

    Thanks for the sweet comments, friends. I appreciate the feedback -- the blogosphere is like one big cheering section at times and a shoulder to cry on in others.

    Lilian and Laura, I've perused your blogs several times and keep forgetting to add them to my "web destination" list. Will remedy that soon!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER