Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Tuesday, February 07, 2006
Choices, Choices
Things I would rather be doing than working on my dissertation:

1.) Poking myself in the eye with a sharp, hot, poison-tipped stick.
2.) Eating large insects while they are still alive and squirming.
3.) Cleaning the oven without chemical assistance.
4.) Pouring lemon juice and salt into my numerous paper cuts.
5.) Watching football (and trust me, I am the world's biggest NFL-Hater).

Truly, today has been so dull I could just die. All dissertation, all day. Mostly reading some documents I cannot get my head around written in fantastic German legalese. This chapter is soooooo close to being done. But I've said that before. This time, I mean it. It will be out tonight or else I will be seriously crabby tomorrow. (I'm not crabby very often, but when I am... watch out!)

UPDATE: I sent it! It's 9:10pm and I just sent the draft chapter to my advisors. It feels good to have it out of my hands -- sure, I could've written more tonight, but it really was at a stage where I needed someone else to read it and tell me what else it needs. For tomorrow: play with ST and get the grocery shopping done after our weekend away. For Thursday: revision of the introductory chapter (which is truly, truly awful in places) and then onto the next case study. Onward!
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 2/07/2006 03:37:00 PM  
9 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 3:54 PM, Blogger Dr. Mon said…

    Come on Professor Me--we can do it. Let's get these chapters OUT today!!

    (I'm deeply concerned by the list of 5--I'm praying it's just the German getting to you!)

     
  • At 4:24 PM, Blogger BrightStar said…

    I'm proud of you for working even when it sucks. Go, go, go, go !!!

     
  • At 6:52 PM, Blogger trillwing said…

    Hoo boy, have I been there! One of the U.S. women scientists I'm studying left behind an extensive personal diary written entirely in English, but penned in an old Germanic script. And some of the words are written in German. Fun!

    Stick with it--you're almost done.

     
  • At 10:59 PM, Blogger ArticulateDad said…

    Comment on UPDATE:

    Hurray! Keep it going.

     
  • At 11:44 PM, Blogger phd me said…

    Oh, how I hate to laugh at your pain but I absolutely love your list! Why is writing so, so painful? But you did it, you got that chapter out - proving that you are amazing and you do not, indeed, need a sharp, pointy stick to make you write. ;)

     
  • At 6:54 AM, Blogger BrightStar said…

    Good work getting it done!!! Enjoy your time with ST.

     
  • At 9:35 AM, Blogger La Lecturess said…

    Yay! Now you don't actually have to test that sharp stick vs. dissertation theory. Enjoy your down time.

     
  • At 12:14 PM, Blogger Dr. Mon said…

    Yeah Prof Me!! I'm so proud of you. I do wish I could come and play with you guys today, but one more day on the grind for me. Tomorrow will be my day off to go shopping for Dr. J's Valentine's gift--any ideas?? I'm working on a good post for you about him but I have to press send on Chapter Three first before I post it!!

     
  • At 1:10 PM, Blogger MusicalMom said…

    Yay for getting it out! Hope you're enjoying your day "off." :)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER