Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Wednesday, February 01, 2006
Another Five Things Meme
Courtesy of the lovely ScienceWoman

Remove the blog in the top spot from the following list and bump everyone up one place. Then add your blog to the bottom slot, like so.

1) BrightStar
2) Seeking Solace
3) Statgirl
4) ScienceWoman
5) Professor Me

Next select five people to tag (Sorry!):
1) Mon
2) ABD Me
3) ABD Mom
4) MusicalMom
5) Articulate Dad

What were you doing 10 years ago?
Ten years ago, I was a few months into my “non-relationship” with T. We met the November before, just after I returned from seven months in Europe, and had developed a fun friendship but had never kissed or admitted we were dating. When friends asked us if we were “an item,” both of us would say something lame like, “We’re just really good friends.” T told me repeatedly that I should have been dating his roommate (and I almost did). It wasn’t until around Valentine’s Day that we realized, “Oh, hey… this IS a relationship!” Needless to say, T didn’t try to set me up with his roommate again, and we've been together ever since.

What were you doing 1 year ago?
Had just defended my prospectus and had written a crummy version of Chapters One and Two of the dissertation, chapters that had to be fully re-written a month later. Chapter One still has some major revisions to be made – mostly stylistic, though, so relatively easy to fix. It still has that “I’m not quite sure what I’m doing” quality about it.

Five snacks you enjoy:
1. Biscotti, Italian-style (hard and dunkable)
2. Hot chocolate (dark, with a peppermint candy on the bottom)
3. Town House crackers with a slices of Marble Jack cheese
4. Cookies (without nuts)
5. Ice cream, as long as there are no nuts in it or large pieces of cookies (hate that)

Five songs to which you know all the lyrics:
1. All This Time (Sting)
2. Spring Can Really Hang You Up the Most
3. Theme song from that old cartoon Duck Tales
4. Every song from The Sound of Music (truly – it was my favorite movie for a long time)
5. It Might As Well Be Spring (from State Fair)

Five things you would do if you were a millionaire:
1. Give money to my elementary school for funding teacher salaries (private Catholic school where the teachers make awful money)
2. Update my wardrobe with my sister’s help
3. Put aside a healthy amount for the time when T can start his own practice
4. Stash away a nice amount for ST’s future
5. Build our dream house on a lake in New Town

Five bad habits:
1. Procrastinating, definitely!
2. Spending too much time online (goes with #1)
3. Being judgmental when I shouldn’t be
4. Twirling the ends of my hair when I’m thinking
5. Pulling at my eyelashes (I’ve done this ever since I can remember – it’s gross)

Five things you like doing:
1. Reading blogs, adding to my own
2. Baking and cooking
3. Reading non-dissertation-related books
4. Chatting with T and ST
5. Teaching ST new things (e.g., today it was “Humpty-Dumpty”)

Five things you would never wear again:
1. Stirrup pants
2. Striped jeans
3. The shoes I borrowed from my sister for my wedding (ouch!)
4. A thong (I mean… get real!)
5. My wedding dress (didn't love it then, don't like it now... but T is too sentimental to let me sell it!)

Five favorite toys:
1. My laptop computer
2. My Kitchenaid mini food processor
3. My Cuisinart 1-qt. ice cream maker
4. My iPod nano
5. My Volkswagen (but I never get to drive it because I have the mini-van now!)
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 2/01/2006 06:56:00 PM  
2 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 8:29 PM, Blogger Dr. Mon said…

    It's okay--you're still my girl. I was looking for a reason to stop starting at articles anyways.

     
  • At 12:32 PM, Blogger ArticulateDad said…

    oooh oooh. I'm tagged. Wow. Not my first "meme" but it's the first time I've been Blogtagged. :) Thanks. I'll get on it right away. Like Dr. Mon, I'm up for a little distraction today.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER