Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Sunday, January 22, 2006
The Weekend in Numbers
Number of Rooms Painted: three. T and I painted our bedroom (finally -- we've been meaning to do it for years but could never decide on a color because we couldn't decide on bed dressings. We finally bought new linens last year and could, at last, paint the room), the master bath (which is so not "masterful" it's not even funny -- it's more like a closet with a shower, but it's cute), and the guest bathroom. Everything looks awesome, and it didn't take us long at all. (Most of Saturday afternoon.)

Number of Times ST Commented on Our Color Choices: innumerable. "Oh, Mom, that's a beautiful color!" "Dad, that paint is kind of ugly." "Mom, that is the color of my pants!"

Amount Dropped at Lowe's: $258.00. New hardware (towel bars, toilet paper holders, etc.) for both bathrooms (who knew it was that expensive?!), a new light fixture, some cabinet hardware, and a new cabinet for above our toilet in the un-masterful bathroom. Despite the expense, I love Lowe's. A funny thing about me is that I have no problem spending $45.00 on a new towel bar but I hate parting with that much money for a shirt for myself.

Number of Accidents: pooping accidents for ST, that is. Two. Grr. Once at his friend's birthday party, and one at our neighbor's house while we were shopping at Lowe's. Double Grr. He knows better.

Number of Articles Read: three. Good ones, and in a foreign language. I love it when the articles I read in another language are actually worth my time -- sometimes they aren't, and then I feel cheated.

Number of Pages Written: zero. I just don't get anything written on the weekends because T and ST are here, and because the house calls to me. Mostly the kitchen, but you know how it is. Actually, mostly that sink: "I'm dirty, I'm dirty... please shine me!"

Number of People Who Asked If We Were Moving: seven! We haven't told anyone (aside from our families who live out-of-state and our best friends, a couple who live across the neighborhood) about my job offer and our impending move, and yet everyone seems to know that we're leaving! I went to a birthday party with ST on Saturday, and all of the moms there were asking me how much we were planning to list our house for when we sell this spring/summer. I pretended that we still weren't sure if we were going to move. I told them that hiring decisions wouldn't be made until April, which was hard to do when I had my signed contract sitting on my kitchen counter, ready to mail.

Number of Friends Who Got Jobs This Week: one! One of my pals in the department just accepted a job and he's really excited about it. We're all excited for him, too. Now there are just three others to place and the department will be beaming. (Actually, after reading ABDmom's recent post, maybe this should be TWO friends who got jobs this week!)

Loads of Laundry: four. Two still in progress.

Amount Spent on the Week's Grocery: $84.00, excluding meat, which I buy at our local butcher shop because it's fantastic there and they cut it the way I want it.

That's the weekend in numbers, friends. And now, as promised: the Meal Plan for the week starting January 23, 2006:

  • Ravioli "Lasagna" (from The Simpler the Better, page 84)
  • Black Bean Soup (adapted from Everyday Food, my favorite magazine)
  • Rotini with Broccoli, Ham and Cheddar (from The Simpler the Better, page 168)
  • Beefy Wild Rice Meatballs (left over from last week's list)
  • Crispy Chicken Sandwiches (at ST's request, adapted from a newspaper recipe)
  • Mom's "Swiss" Steak and Rice (family recipe)
  • Chili (T has decided that he will cook on Sundays, and this is his signature dish)

Desserts: Monster Cookies (again at ST's request, from the King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion, page 256; ST thinks they will look like Cookie Monster) and some biscotti (also from KAFCC), but I haven't yet decided on the variety.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 1/22/2006 09:16:00 PM  
1 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 4:06 PM, Blogger MusicalMom said…

    Oh, fun!!!! I'm right there with you in the painting department. Isn't the final result so fresh and new? Oh, and you just reminded me that I have a ton of laundry waiting for me upstairs...

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER