Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Thursday, January 05, 2006
Random Updates
I actually got a full night's sleep last night -- hurray! -- thanks to a lot of medication, a smear of Vaseline inside my sore nose, and a vaporizer right next to my bed. I feel a bit better today. The headache and sore throat are gone and so I'm only dealing with a nasty, gag-inducing cough and more pflegm than you can shake a stick at. (Lovely.)

Day One of potty-training went reasonably well. After two pairs of wet training pants and wet jeans, ST finally got the idea that if he went in his pants, it meant a full change of clothes and a bath or at least a wipe-down with soapy water, both of which he hates. So he started telling me he had to pee about every 20 minutes (!) -- the day goes fairly quickly when the majority of it is spent in the bathroom cheering for your peeing toddler. ("Good work! You actually got it IN the potty this time!") We took a big step backward, however, after T came home and ST went downstairs to play with him. Playing on the train table was far too interesting to take a break, and so playtime ended in a very messy accident that required a full bath and another explanation of how using the potty actually takes LESS time than changing a diaper or changing soiled clothes. He'll get it, though. He was very proud to be wearing underpants, especially his new Bob the Builder ones. After his mega-accident while playing with Dad, he was very sad that he "pooped on Bob's head."

I am going to officially accept the position at Smallish Midwestern University today. I negotiated with the Dean on the salary, travel costs, and moving expenses yesterday, and he has been very accommodating. Although it's hard to "pull the pin" on something this major, especially when it has such far-reaching implications for my entire family (mostly T), it will feel good to just have it settled.

Now I'm already starting to think about the classes I'll be teaching next year. I have a bunch of book catalogues I've been saving here in my now-clean office, and I'm eager to take a better look at the books I've circled in those catalogues to see if they'd be appropriate undergraduate texts. I don't even know how to go about getting examination copies, though. I suppose I should figure that out. Are they always free?

But before I get ahead of myself, the dissertation awaits.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 1/05/2006 10:16:00 AM  
2 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 12:51 PM, Blogger phd me said…

    Congratulations, Professor! Smallish Midwestern University is lucky to have you.

     
  • At 4:54 PM, Blogger Dr. Mon said…

    Yeah Congrats Professor Me!

    I would ask your new department chair or the staff person that orders books for your department about the examination copies. They have always been free in my experience but I know some publishers will limit the number you can get before you actually place an order. When you (well ur deparment/bookstore person) place an order above a certain number for a course, then you can usually get a free desk copy.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER