Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Tuesday, January 17, 2006
New Year, New Look
I've been wanting to use a new template for this blog for awhile now, but I could never figure out how to do it or find a design that I really liked. Last weekend I overheard someone talking about reconfiguring their blog and finally all of the pieces clicked in my head: so THAT'S how you do it! So, in about 25 minutes, a new look for the new year was born. For the curious, this blog template was found at Beccary. I wanted something a little more "me," and this is closer than the generic Blogger template.

(I can't quite figure out how to do a few things, though: 1.) I'd like to have a space between my listing of the blogs I read and the "Blogwise" button, for composition reasons -- they look too close together now; and 2.) I'd like to alter the blog so that the word "comments" under each post is changed to something else. If anyone can answer my questions, I'd be thrilled to hear from you.)
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 1/17/2006 12:13:00 PM  
10 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 3:09 PM, Blogger phd me said…

    Lovely new design! Alas, I'm not much help on technical issues.

     
  • At 5:32 PM, Blogger ScienceWoman said…

    wow. I love the new look. Can't help with the technical stuff though - been wondering how to change the "comments" thing myself.

     
  • At 7:07 PM, Blogger MusicalMom said…

    I think I've got it.

    Find this line in your template:
    (less than)$BlogItemCommentCount$(greater than)comments(less than)/a(greater than), substituting < and > and change what's in bold.

     
  • At 8:16 PM, Blogger jo(e) said…

    Cool new look.

     
  • At 12:24 AM, Blogger ArticulateDad said…

    to add space, just login to your account, and choose "edit template" put a couple of these "br" anywhere you need it. Darn, instead of the quotation marks, you'll need to use arrow brackets... but since it's html code, I can't enter it here. *SIGH*

    "br" is html ("hypertext markup language" -- yeah it really stands for something) code for "break" as in "line break".

     
  • At 12:32 AM, Blogger ArticulateDad said…

    Sometimes, like now, I feel real old... because I remember being in "advanced math" in middle school, when that meant you got to learn to write code in BASIC.

    My now-wife and I were a high-tech couple as grad students back in the 1990s, when we used to use TALK and Telnet to communicate with each other.

    I think I've had a webpage nearly uninterruptedly since about 1993. Sheesh.

     
  • At 10:08 AM, Blogger Dr. Mon said…

    Prof Me the new look is gorgeous!!

     
  • At 1:33 PM, Blogger Prof. Me said…

    Thanks, friends! I fear I'm going to be addicted to template changing now that I know how to do it -- it's like rearranging your furniture: addictive.

    MusicalMom, I've tried your suggestion for the comments thing, but it isn't working for some reason. I've found every place where "comments" is written between the brackets, but nothing changes. Hmmm. A mystery.

    Articulate Dad, thanks for the break hint. As you can see, it worked! Hard to believe you've had a webpage since the 90's -- I used email starting in 1995 and didn't discover the actual Internet until around 1997. (And I haven't been away from it since...)

     
  • At 1:49 PM, Blogger MusicalMom said…

    Hmmmm. That's too bad! It worked for mine...

     
  • At 3:01 PM, Blogger chemgoddess said…

    Interesting new look. I like the shadow effect on the border.

    I was thinking about the comment template question. MusicalMom's instructions are exactly what I did when I had wanted something more original (I've since changed it back). You mentioned that it didn't work for you... I was wondering... is it possible you weren't far enough 'into' the template when you made changes? The first time 'comments' show up are in the template skeleton set-up stuff (sorry - not really a code writer and don't know the right terms). The part that gets changed is much further down in the template coding.

    Mine is under the "!--Begin #main-content--"
    (I'm omitting the greater than and less than brackets and replacing with "")

    Within the section listed above look for the subsection "BlogItemCommentsEnabled".

    Then just under (enclosed) in the above subsection is the "comments" text you need to replace with whatever you want.

    I dunno. Maybe that will be completely useless for you but I thought I would give the explanation a try.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER