Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Friday, January 06, 2006
My 1-900 Voice
The only advantage to having this nasty cold is that my usually quite high-pitched voice has been transformed into what T calls my "1-900 number voice." I used to get this comment when I worked in retail, too: when I have a cold and a sore throat, my voice becomes a little... well, sexy. My co-workers at Barnes & Noble, where I worked as an undergrad, used to think this was hysterical, since I'm your typical goody-two-shoes-Catholic-schoolgirl, and my co-workers used to relish in hearing me say, "... and is there anything else I can do for you today?" in my throaty voice. Once, as a customer was writing a check at the cash register for a book he just purchased from me I asked him if all of the information on his check was current and he looked up, grinned, and said, "You just gotta look up when you hear a voice like that."

So today, as I organize some notes for Chapter Five and pull together some of the interview data I collected in Europe, I'm listening to my iPod and singing along, enjoying my new vocal range. I can actually sing the line from Incubus' "Drive" that includes the words "... haunting mass appeal," which I usually can't. Good times.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 1/06/2006 02:40:00 PM  
1 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 11:01 AM, Blogger BrightStar said…

    I totally get this 1-900 voice thing! I get it, too, when I'm sick, and you tell the stories about it very well. :)

    Feel better, though.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER