Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Tuesday, January 24, 2006
It's Alive!
Inspired (as always) by the lovely Dr. Mon, I am having a great writing day today. By "great" I mean that I actually am writing and enjoying it, rediscovering how fun it can be to write a detailed case-study. This chapter (Chapter 5) is technically my first case study, although as I mentioned before I'm still not sure if it will be a stand-alone chapter or part of a larger chapter that includes another case-study (which is partially written already, the benefit of writing up a piece of a chapter for a conference paper). I had a hard time starting it because it just didn't "feel" right -- I felt like I was heading in a direction I didn't want to go, and I didn't feel like I was doing the case justice. After some major overhauling in the last few days, the chapter is taking shape in a way that is satisfactory to me.

Additionally, I'm re-reading some of my foreign language primary source material, and it's been fascinating. Although I spent a lot of time researching this case while I was in Europe, there are a bunch of little nuances I'd forgotten -- and nuance is vital to a good case study. So although I'm taking more time re-reading and re-translating some of my documents, it is time well-spent.

My goal: get this Chapter to my advisors by Friday evening. I think I can do it. (Of course, if I were Dr. Mon, I'd say "Get this Chapter out by tomorrow," but seeing as I am not nearly as awesome as she is and seeing as how I have a full day with ST tomorrow, Friday will have to do.) After this chapter is finished, I will have a nice blueprint for writing up the others.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 1/24/2006 02:44:00 PM  
2 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 3:02 PM, Blogger BrightStar said…

    Let's start by saying that getting ANY writing done is TOTALLY AWESOME, and being excited about it is even better. YAY!

     
  • At 5:09 PM, Blogger Dr. Mon said…

    You got me laughing over here Prof. Me!! I'm sure if I had an ST or two of my own my posts would read a LOT differently.

    Glad to hear you had a great writing day so far--mine has been so-so up to this point--so you are helping me keep my spirits up! Thanks!!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER