Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Thursday, January 19, 2006
It Begins With a Single Step, And After 1:00pm
You know what they say about long journeys -- they begin with single steps. For me, they also apparently begin after around 1:00pm.

I've been working on Chapters 5 and 6 of the dissertation this week, trying to sort out all of the information I collected while in Europe and also trying to determine if these two chapters should actually be one mega-chapter, or if pieces of each should go into two completely different chapters along with the other data, thus making the dissertation only six chapters instead of the previously planned eight. Anyway, it's been a busy few days and I'm actually making progress, albeit slow. Today I wrote five good pages (well: 7 so-so pages - 2 crappy pages = 5 good pages). I hope to reach the 10 good-page-mark tomorrow (gotta have goals).

Something I've known about myself for a very long time is that my brain is not fully functioning until around 10:00am. Truly, I am useless before then. Even after that, I can never write until around 1:00pm -- that is when the creativity starts to percolate in my brain, my fingers fly along the keyboard, and I start to remember why it was I chose this dissertation topic. I can write rather effectively until around 4:30pm, when I have to leave to pick ST up from daycare, and if he doesn't totally zap my energy after dinner I can pick up and write again after he goes to bed at 8:30pm. In the past, my best writing has actually occurred very late at night and into the wee hours of the morning, usually between 8:00pm and 2:00am. I would keep that schedule now, but with a toddler in the house who gets up at 6:30am, that doesn't allow me much time for sleep. Once ST is up, the whole house is up, and I am not an effective napper.

At any rate, I feel good about today's accomplishment, albeit small. This thing is going to get done, and it's going to get done in the next few months. That is, it's going to get done in the afternoons and evenings of the next few months.

* And for my new friend MusicalMom, I saw your tag and here's the link to my answers, done several months ago but still valid!
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 1/19/2006 07:32:00 PM  
3 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 8:14 PM, Blogger Dr. Mon said…

    Glad you are chugging along. Correction: you wrote 7 pages today by the way (crappy pages count too you know!) But seriously, glad your writing engine is running again. We are definitely kindred spirits because I am no good before 10am either. I think abd me is in the same boat too!

     
  • At 9:07 PM, Blogger MusicalMom said…

    It sounds like your dissertation is going well!

    Thanks for the link--I play the flute, too! I was actually a music education major. :)

     
  • At 1:01 PM, Blogger La Lecturess said…

    You have *just described* my own work habits/abilities. In fact, during summers or other periods when I have completely open days, I sometimes don't start writing until dinnertime or later. But at that point, I can usually write steadily and with great focus.

    I'm not sure whether it's my biological rhythms or whether it's just that, by the end of the day, I realize that I actually HAVE to get my ass in gear, or else the day will have been a total waste.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER