Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Friday, January 27, 2006
Happy Birthday, Wolfi!
I am taking some time today to listen to a little Mozart on the occasion of the 250th anniversary of his birth. I'm here at my desk, mug of hot chocolate and cinnamon bun cookie in front of me, enjoying James Galway playing Mozart's Concerto for Flute and Harp. I forget about Mozart, to tell the truth -- I get stuck in a Gershwin or Ravel rut (pleasant ruts though they are!) and leave my Mozart, Wagner, and Beethoven on the shelf, gathering dust.

Hearing the music of Mozart, no matter where I am, instantly transports me to his birthplace in Salzburg. I was there in 1995, touring the city during a break from my studies in another Austrian city. Mozart was the soundtrack of my visit, from the moment I stepped into the Mozarthaus and even as I passed the line of people waiting for the Sound of Music Tour to begin. I remember strolling down Linzergasse in the rain, hand-in-hand with the adorable Austrian medical student who would, in just a few months' time, ask me to marry him. (I refused, of course, but I was oh-so-tempted. But that's another story.) I remember stepping in to the store where they sold traditional Austrian Trachten and trying on a gorgeous navy blue Dirndl that was far out of my price range but too beautiful to ignore. I remember the smells of fresh pastry, cappuccino, and rain on ancient cobblestone streets.

I was fortunate to hear a portion of Tom Ashbrook's "On Point" radio program yesterday, an entire show devoted to Mozart. Ashbrook spoke about how some people are just geniuses, and yet some people are such geniuses that their genius is impossible to comprehend -- it's almost magical. I am certain Mozart belonged to the latter group. I'm hoping that, as I struggle to finish this chapter today, some of his geniusness will inspire me to greater things.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 1/27/2006 11:07:00 AM  
5 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 12:52 PM, Blogger MusicalMom said…

    What wonderful memories! Mozart was simply incredible!!! I would love to visit Austria one day.

     
  • At 1:09 PM, Blogger ScienceWoman said…

    I went to a concert last week and got to hear his Violin Concerto #5. I then went home and was distressed to discover that I owned not a single Mozart CD. My tastes generally run to the big romantic and nationalistic composers (Rachmaninoff, Dvorak, Mendelssohn), but I promised myself that I would purchase some Mozart next. And it looks like today's the perfect day to head over to Amazon and do so. Thanks for reminding me.

    P.S. Go over to google and look at today's motif.

     
  • At 1:24 PM, Blogger Prof. Me said…

    Sciencewoman, I just noticed the Google thing myself. They are so clever! I (heart) Google.

    Dvorak is also one of my favorites -- the "Slavonic Dances" were my undergraduate soundtrack. So many papers were written to that music...

    (Also, I wanted to note how much I enjoy your blog! I'm adding it to my sidebar, if you don't mind.)

     
  • At 6:38 PM, Blogger ScienceWoman said…

    Mind? I'm always thrilled to add new readers - it helps keep me writing!

     
  • At 3:08 AM, Anonymous Bdayo.Com said…

    Happy Birthday! Bdayo.Com was created with one goal in mind to help our users enjoy, celebrate, and remember their birthday! Bdayo allows you to find unlimited amount of Birthday Freebies in your area and offer unique features to help you learn more about that special day!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER