Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Wednesday, January 04, 2006
Dayquil -- Not Cutting It
The very first time I took Nyquil for a cold I was in my teens. My Dad poured a medicine cup of the nasty green liquid for me as I stood, miserable, in the kitchen. I drank it fast, plugging my nose as it burned down my throat. That's all I remember, because I passed out almost immediately after that. Dad said I didn't even make it down the stairs to my bedroom. I slept hard after several nights of sleeplessness and woke up feeling a million times better.

I am miserable again. I have the worst cold I've had in a very long time. I actually started to get sick during my interviews at the beginning of December, but that bout with illness passed rather quickly. As of yesterday, I have something bad: headache, body aches, sore throat, stuffy head and nose, nose that (although plugged) will not stop dripping, nose that is sore to the touch because of all of the tissue that's been on it lately, no appetite, and a nasty cough. This morning I sneezed TWELVE times in a row. That can't be good. ST was shouting, "Mom, stop sneezing! I can't talk to you if you sneeze like that!"

I took some Robitussin last night but it had no effect. I took some Dayquil this morning and that allieviated the headache somewhat. Anyone have any suggestions on what I could take to get rid of this plague?

What's worse, ST's potty training began today. Two wet pairs of toddler training pants, two wet pairs of toddler jeans. (They didn't have the plastic training pant covers at my Target, ABDmom!) He did tell me when he had to poop, which was good. He's napping now in a diaper. We'll see what the afternoon brings for us after he awakes.

I'm going down for a nap, too.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 1/04/2006 01:25:00 PM  
2 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 3:50 PM, Blogger phd me said…

    Oh, you poor thing. Tylenol Cold & Flu (or a generic equivalent) works for me when I feel like snot on an achy stick. That, and lots of sleep. Enjoy that nap!

     
  • At 6:40 PM, Blogger ABDmom said…

    Sudafed is what works for me, and as abd me said, sleep. Also, really push the fluids. It will help the congestion. Sounds counter-intuitive when you have so much liquid flowing from the nose, but it works. :)

    Not plastic covers for the training pants, but actual plastic pants. Plastic covers are a separate thing. Here is a link to the Gerber site; what you want is the last thing listed, the All in One Waterproof Trainer. http://www.gerberchildrenswear.com/products/subcategory.aspx?cat=1&subcat=6

    They have a thing on their website where you can search for retailers in your area, so maybe that will help (?). I can't believe your Target didn't have them! Bummer. Maybe they were sold out. I also found some at Kmart and one of the grocery "supercenter" chains around here. I would tell you which one, if I thought it would help, but I don't think they exist where you are.

    Email me if you want more details.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER