Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Thursday, December 15, 2005
Overheard in the Hall
I am sitting in Small Midwestern City, having just completed Day One of my interview at Smallish Midwestern University. The interview is going very, very well. I know that they are only considering one candidate besides me; they had a third candidate but everyone already acknowledged that she did not live up to her CV and is already out of the running.

For the interview I have a little office at the end of the hall and different faculty members come to meet me and chat in 45 minute intervals. I met with the last faculty member in this small (8 person) department this afternoon before giving my job talk. After our discussion we shook hands and he left the room. Although the door was partially closed, I could hear him meet and greet a colleague in the hall.

"What did you think?" Colleague asked.

"You were right," my last interviewer said, "she's exuberant."

Exuberant? I think I'll go with dictionary.com's first definition, which is "Full of unrestrained enthusiasm or joy" and not the third definition, which is "Extreme in degree, size, or extent." I'm taking this as a compliment. I think.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 12/15/2005 08:15:00 PM  
4 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 9:26 PM, Blogger Dr. Mon said…

    I definitely think this is a great compliment! You radiate an undeniable energy in your personality and in your scholarship and teaching (that would be my translation).

    But I must say--I have never used that word in my life. Ever.

     
  • At 12:13 AM, Blogger phd me said…

    Absolutely a compliment! Like Mon, can't say as I've heard it used that often, but that just makes you VERY special. :)

     
  • At 6:42 AM, Blogger Prof. Me said…

    Mon and ABDme, you are too sweet. Thank you for your kind words!

     
  • At 9:22 AM, Blogger BrightStar said…

    totally a compliment. :) and I can see you being exuberant!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER