Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Monday, December 12, 2005
Learning About the MLA Process
Since a few of the bloggers I read (e.g., ABDmom, La Lecturess) and some of my non-social scientist friends are talking about the MLA interview process, I decided to learn more about it. I found this website and I have just been cracking up for the past half hour while I wait for ST to wake up.

http://9interviews.com/

Is the MLA conference always the day after Christmas? Yuck!
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 12/12/2005 03:55:00 PM  
5 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 8:26 PM, Blogger ABDmom said…

    Heh, heh. You figued out what the Major League Conference stands for. Of course, I didn't really try to disguise it, either. It's been an open secret on my blog. :)

    I've seen that website, and it's hysterical! My favorite is the woman who sings show tunes!

    And yes, MLA is *always* held the week between Christmas and New Year's. The timing stinks.

     
  • At 10:23 PM, Blogger Prof. Me said…

    ABD, I was considering removing your name from this post in an effort to preserve more of your anonymity, but then I figured that it was becoming increasingly obvious that this was the conference you were talking about...! (The timing, the stress, the fact that it's huge, etc.) I hope you don't mind!

    I like the guy on the website whose dissertation is about trying to find the humor in miserable situations: "... and I wanted to know if there was anything funny about child abuse. As it turns out, there isn't..."

     
  • At 11:29 AM, Blogger ABDmom said…

    Prof Me, it's FINE. I knew months ago that there was no way I could discuss going to the conference without people figuring out what conference it was: the timing alone is a dead giveaway. So, I chose a deliberately obvious pseudonym (Major League Conference) as a bit of a joke. I knew a lot of people would get the joke immediately because of their fields, while others would figure it out later, as the timing became obvious. :) It is NO BIG DEAL.

    At least it's a big enough conference that my specialty is still concealed. :)

     
  • At 7:49 PM, Blogger La Lecturess said…

    Ooh, I've heard about those videos, but not seen them--I look forward to watching them on my faster office computer (...with the door closed) tomorrow. Thanks for the link.

    The first MLA I attended, after I checked into my hotel and headed for the elevators I fell in behind a couple in their late 50s: both very tall, very thin, dressed all in black, wearing glasses and matching berets. You can't make this shit up.

     
  • At 8:20 PM, Blogger ABDmom said…

    LOL. Thanks for that, La Lecturess. That mental image will have me laughing all throughout the conference!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER