Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Thursday, December 08, 2005
Interviews by the Numbers
I am currently sitting in a small airport in a small town in the Mid-Atlantic region, taking advantage of a strong and free wireless internet signal. Fox News is blaring from the television above me, telling me about the massive snow storm whipping through the Midwest. I am waiting for a flight that leaves in three hours, having just finished my third on-campus interview, and am very, very ready to go home. I hope that the runways will be clear of snow and ice just long enough so that I can get home on time, about 3:00pm today. I promised ST that I would play with Matchbox cars with him tonight, and I don't like to break my promises.

At any rate, the interviews have gone well so far, very well in fact. Here's a breakdown, my interviews by the numbers:

Number of flights from my hometown to Interview #2 and then to Interview #3: seven

Combined cost of those flights: $1100

Amount of that I will pay: $0 (love that)

Money spent on Starbuck's Peppermint Hot Chocolate: $6.50 (totally worth it)

Number of hotels: 1

Number of charming bed and breakfasts: 1

Number of individual faculty meetings (total for interviews): 21

Number of individual Dean meetings: 2

Number of individual President meetings: 1

Number of individual Provost meetings: 2

Number of students met: 18

Number of times I've had to repeat why, after studying at a "high-powered research institution," I'm interested in working at a smaller liberal arts college: 21

Number of times I've lost my interview itinerary: 2

Number of times I've been asked, "So, do you have any questions for me?": innumerable

Number of suits I thought I brought: 1

Number of suits I wore: 0, since the dry cleaner inadvertently put my black suit pants in the same bag with my navy blue suit jacket and I was too trusting to check before I left (let that be a lesson to you).

Number of times I've looked at the pictures of ST stored on my iPod: countless

Number of days I've worn my ultra-cute Mary Janes: 2

Number of days I wore borrowed snow boots: 1

Inches of snow accumulated at Interview #3 while there: 6.5

Number of cough drops I've ingested on this trip: 12

Number of days I've had no voice: 1 (today, fortunately after the interviews were over)

Number of days I haven't read any of your blogs: 4 (Off to catch up now!)
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 12/08/2005 09:14:00 AM  
4 Words of Wisdom:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER