Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Thursday, December 01, 2005
Home At Last
After winding my way through three large airports, nearly missing one flight, and actually arriving at my Home Airport five minutes ahead of schedule, I am finally here. I'm sitting in my comfortable office, listening to some classical Christmas music on the radio and listening for ST, who has just gone down for a nap in his room next to my office. I am blissfully happy.

Yesterday at the airport it was as if I'd never been gone. ST gave me a little sideways look and then laughed out loud. We walked to the car and I was amazed at how grown-up my little boy is, after just 30 days away from him. "Mom, my Dad got me a new car seat. It's brown. I like it because it has a drawer for my cars," he explained as he pulled the cupholders out of the bottom of the car seat. A few minutes later, "Mom, my Dad is driving us home. He is a good driver." After that, "Mom, my Dad will make us supper. Did you know that me and my Dad cleaned the house for you?" Everything he said was about "my Dad." It was heartbreaking and adorable. T just beamed.

We got home and T had to rush back to work for a meeting. ST and I decided to take a nap (sorely needed as I had not slept at all the night before or during my flights). We both crawled into his "big boy bed." "Mom, you can use my napping pillow, and I'll use my nighttime pillow," ST explained, handing me his "napping pillow." He pulled the blankets over us and then threw his arm over me. "I was sad yesterday, Mom," he said softly, "but I'm happy today." He gave me a million soft, wet kisses on my cheeks and forehead and then snuggled against me for a long nap. There is no better feeling in the world.

T came home later that night and we all played with construction trucks together and then watched a program on the Food Network about Christmas cookies. ST went to bed and T and I were able to chat for the first time that day. A lot of wonderful things have happened to T at work since I've been gone and we got a chance to talk about them. I also had a chance to thank T for managing everything so spectacularly while I was gone. He smiled and said, "I just did everything how you do it -- you have this place pretty organized!" I looked around my house and saw that he'd dusted, vacuumed, and even cleaned the sink. (I have this "thing" about dirty sinks -- I can't do anything in the kitchen if the sink is dirty or if the faucet has water spots on it.) The laundry was done. The grocery shopping was done. The shirts were at the cleaners, since he didn't want me to have to worry about ironing when I got back.

Life is good.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 12/01/2005 12:37:00 PM  
7 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 1:22 PM, Blogger phd me said…

    Welcome home! And what a wonderful home it is.

     
  • At 1:52 PM, Blogger BrightStar said…

    welcome back. this post brought tears to my eyes. I'm glad your son was so sweet to you upon your return, and it sounds like T was just awesome with him while you were gone.

     
  • At 6:08 PM, Blogger academic coach said…

    a wonderful, moving story about a delightful child and fantastic spouse. They sound like gems. even a clean sink waiting for you....

     
  • At 9:08 PM, Blogger ABDmom said…

    Welcome home. Like B*, this post made me misty-eyed. :)

     
  • At 10:07 PM, Blogger Lilian said…

    I'm glad you're safely back home, it must have felt utterly blissful to be reunited with your son. I can't even *think* about being away from my boys, let alone live through it. You're very brave, and I hope your work there brings the results you expected.

     
  • At 12:30 AM, Blogger Demetri said…

    the bit about the million soft wet kisses made me want to have kids.

    welcome home. really. it's always that odd feeling that everything has shifted a few inches to the right. it's all familiar, yet...welcome home.

    this may not seem like much, but my computer is in the shop and I actually remembered your url. supercool.

     
  • At 2:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Welcome Home!!!!! I couldnt hang out waiting on EB to hear how it all went..lol...so I had a nosy in here!

    I bet it was so nice to come home to a clean house and your two cute boys!!! You deserved it!!!

    Take Care!!

    Nic (from Aus)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER