Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Tuesday, December 20, 2005
Done
At last, our mad-dash to finish Christmas shopping is over. Since I was gone all of November and then away for most of the past two weeks, T and I have really struggled to get everything done. But done we are, and wrapped, too. Hurray!

This is one time of the year I am thankful I drive a minivan. (I never, ever thought I would utter that phrase, but there it is. Fortunately I still have my cute little Volkswagen in the garage, but T gets to drive his clients around in it and I only drive it on weekends when I'm out alone. Grr.) After I pile in all of the presents I have to load two huge suitcases, diapers (because ST is still convinced that using diapers is the thing to do), Christmas cookies, the portable DVD player in case ST becomes intolerable on our 9-hour trek north tomorrow, pillows, and a cooler full of healthy snacks and cold water so we're not tempted to stop and eat greasy fast food. Last year, before we bought the van (a Honda Odyssey, so not totally uncool) we made the trip in the Volkswagen. Never again.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 12/20/2005 01:09:00 PM  
3 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 1:32 PM, Blogger ABDmom said…

    I am envious. I soooo want a minivan. And yes, I never thought I'd live to see the day that I would wrote those words, but oh well. We are the fabulously unhip, as opposed to the Tragically Hip. :)

    We'll be driving home Thursday in a Taurus with a cat, a dog, a kid in a carseat, Christmas presents, suitcases, kitty litter, dog food, cat food (the animals are staying with my family while we're at the MLC), Dora the Explorer training pants for overnight, and my laptop. Can't you just feel the joy? ;)

    Now you know why I want that minivan so badly! We are getting one after I get a job, because I am not going to drive home from wherever we end up in this car any more.

     
  • At 2:28 PM, Blogger Prof. Me said…

    Oh, ABD -- I cannot imagine carrying all of that stuff (TWO PETS?!) in a Taurus! Hopefully you don't have as far to go as we do. I will not complain at all tomorrow when we're driving sans cat as I think of you and your packed journey! We once drove from the West coast to the Midwest in our old Toyota Camry, packed down with luggage, a litter box, and our cat. Never, ever again. One bout with cat vomit and we were through with it.

    The main reason I love the van is that, even when it's packed for Christmas, it still doesn't look cluttered. I can't stand car clutter. I like to have the front and middle seats clear of junk so that I can feel organized and in control. With the van, all of the luggage and other gear goes in the third seat or the recessed "trunk" and the passenger areas are free. So, so nice.

    Yes. Get a job. Get a minivan. It's the only way to travel sanely.

     
  • At 8:56 PM, Blogger academic coach said…

    Oh, yeah, I always tell folks, "if you ever told me that I'd *adore* my new (only 2 years used) Honda mini-van, I'd tell you to go f yourself."
    Ah, how the pleasures shift, post kids....

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER