Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Wednesday, December 28, 2005
Catching Up
How awful of me to leave you with a "guess what" post and then not post for a week! T, ST and I just returned last night from an exhausting journey to see our families and so, after battling with ST to get him to take his nap, I am only now getting a chance to write.

The Job: thank you for all of your fantastic comments on my last post. We are very excited; T has started looking for opportunities in the area where we'd be living, starting to browse the real estate catalogs, etc. The job would truly be perfect for us: it's only slightly closer to our families than where we are now, about 9,000 students, the department is a good size (10 faculty members including me), and the University itself seems to be going through a period of revitalization. The benefits are outstanding (although most higher education jobs come with great benefits!), the salary is decent, and the department will be housed in a new facility within the next three years. Actually, the entire place felt a lot like where I did my undergraduate work, which is why I think it appealed to me so much. I will be only the second woman the department has had on the faculty in 25 years. I have until the first week of January to accept or decline; although T and I think we will accept, we're waiting to hear from the other schools I interviewed with first so that we can have some salary bargaining leverage should I get offers from those places.

T's Job: we've had great news on both career fronts, but not news that allows us to doubly rejoice. T was just offered partnership where he works. This is excellent for him in that it's something he always wanted and something he worked hard to achieve, but he thinks he is going to turn the partnership offer down since we'll probably be moving in seven months and the partnership buy-in is non-refundable. He loves his job, loves the people he works with, and loves his clients, but he knows that his job is the portable one and that he's following me. This makes me feel tremendously guilty, knowing that my job success means he has to turn his back on his, but he always tells me not to worry. "I can be successful wherever YOU are," he told me last week. (Yes, he is one of the most awesome men in the world.)

The Holidays: we left for our 9-hour sojourn last Wednesday morning, spent a few days with T's family and then drove some more to spend a few days with mine. It was nice overall, but our minds were so preoccupied that we didn't truly feel like we were in the Christmas spirit. ST had a blast with his cousins, received way too many toys (including a 3-ft long Tonka firetruck with working sirens and ladders, a grandparent gift if I ever saw one), and was generally hopped up on Christmas cookies for the week. I received many of the things I really wanted, including this, these cookbooks (I adore cookbooks), and a heart locket necklace from my Dad. T was thrilled, as he always is, with gift certificates to his favorite sporting goods store. The week was exhausting with all of the traveling, and ST was not on his best behavior toward the end because I think he was too far out of his routine. We are doing a little catch-up discipline today (not fun!).

The Dissertation: I am actually looking forward to getting back to it! I've been away from the actual writing for a long while, but now that the overseas research is complete and the job search is over, I can concentrate on getting it done. I have to suppress some of my perfectionist tendencies, however, and remember the mantra "the best dissertation is a DONE dissertation..." I won't have time to write this week since ST's daycare is closed for the holiday, but next week -- watch out.

Before I sign off and have a late lunch, I am sending my best wishes to ABDmom, Dorcasina, and La Lecturess, who are knocking the socks off the interviewers at the "Major League Conference" this week. Good luck!
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 12/28/2005 01:34:00 PM  
3 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 4:45 PM, Blogger Dr. Mon said…

    This is SUCH great news. Your position sounds a lot like mine, just different part of the country and smaller department. Doesn't it feel great to feel like you've found a home?!?! I'm glad things are working out on all sides. Best wishes on getting back to the diss--it's an interesting transition back but I hope you find the job good motivation to be DONE. CONGRATS!!

     
  • At 7:27 PM, Blogger La Lecturess said…

    Thanks, Prof Me, and congrats on all your own good news! It sounds like a perfect position.

     
  • At 1:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Love your blog--but feeling confused that your husband would give up a partnership offer to move to a first job (where you might not get tenure) for you. My husband is an attorney (not sure if the same if true for you) and would never give up a partnership offer for my work--his is where the toy money comes from. Also, how are you landing these great offers without finishing your diss? I'm just starting to write, expect to finish between Oct-Dec this year and have no idea when to begin the job search. Oh knowledgable ones, please help.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER