Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Sunday, November 06, 2005
Music Meme
I think that ABD Me and I would fare well together on a long car trip, as we have some similiar tastes in music. (A Sting-a-thon?)

Song I always put on mix CDs: “Brand New Day,” Sting; “Don’t Stand So Close to Me (’86),” The Police

Song that reminds me of my childhood: Songs from the children’s hymnal Hi, God! (I went to a Catholic elementary school with Wednesday Mass.) John Cougar Mellencamp’s “Jack and Diane” also instantly transports me to childhood.

Song that takes me back to junior high (8th-9th grade): “Wild Wild West,” “Loveshack”

Song that takes me back to college: the theme song from “Friends” (back when it was a single); also that dumb song “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” and anything by Alanis Morrisette or the Dave Matthews Band.

Song that always makes me cry: “I’ve Grown Accustomed to Her Face” from the musical My Fair Lady (but as sung by Connie Evingson – “I’ve Grown Accustomed to HIS Face”), “I Don’t Think I Will” by James Bonamy (I had a brief flirtation with country music, and this song stuck with me). I also have a tendency to cry when I hear patriotic songs (don’t even get me started with “America the Beautiful!”) and I often cry when I hear certain church hymns (“On Eagle’s Wings” makes me cry because it was played at my FIL’s funeral, “Precious Lord, Take My Hand,” and anything having to do with the Virgin Mary. I’ve always felt strongly about the Virgin Mary.)

Song that takes me to my happy place: “Epilogue” by Sting, “No Such Thing” by John Mayer, and absolutely any piece written by George Gershwin. Bing Crosby also never fails to put me in a good mood.

Song I play to get the party started: what party? (Man, I am SO dull.)

First concert attended: I’ve never attended a pop music concert. Honestly. My first concert was actually a production of The Nutcracker.

Last concert attended: Lorie Line’s Christmas concert… in 2002!

Artist I've seen most often in concert: Tchaikovsky! I see The Nutcracker almost every year (I’ve missed the last two years, though. Will try to remedy that in 2005).

First record/CD I bought: Record: Michael Jackson’s Thriller. First CD was Sting’s Nothing Like the Sun, but I bought it after it was already quite old. I was a latecomer to the whole CD thing.

Last record/CD I bought: Jane Monheit, Come Dream With Me

Album I love falling asleep to: Ralph Vaughn Williams, The Lark Ascending

Album I love waking up to: I will not wake up to music. It lulls me right back into my dreams.

Best after-hours album: can’t go wrong with Frank Sinatra or Ella Fitzgerald

Best song/album for falling in love: Miles Davis, Miles Davis Plays Classic Ballads; also, “Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered” as sung by Ella Fitzgerald

Best song/album for breaking up: not sure! I tend not to listen to music when I’m sad.

Guilty pleasure music: I confess that I adore the soundtrack to The Sound of Music (although I haven’t listened to it in ages since I have it on cassette). There’s also a silly Austrian group called Erste Allgemeine Verunsicherung (EAV) – they play really dorky Austrian spoof music and it truly cracks me up. The album is Kann denn Schwachsinn Sünde sein? (A distinct Austrian theme to my guilty pleasures music…!) I also think old German drinking songs are terribly funny.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 11/06/2005 06:28:00 PM  
2 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 4:04 PM, Blogger phd me said…

    Rev up the engines! I just adore Sting; I couldn't begin to pick a favorite but Why Should I Cry for You is right up there. And When We Dance and Mad About You and Englishman in New York...you get the picture.

    And I am right there with you regarding the Sound of Music! When I was little, I used to listen to my mom's LP over and over and over again. I knew "16 going on 17" by heart and I absolutely loved The Lonely Goatherd. I'll admit it: still do.

     
  • At 1:30 AM, Blogger Prof. Me said…

    "Mad About You" is in my top five, too, along with "It's Probably Me," "Brand New Day," and "La Belle Dame Sans Regret." Oh, and "Englishman in New York" -- too difficult to pick a definite favorite! When I first bought the Brand New Day CD I had it in my CD player for two months straight -- didn't listen to anything else.

    I have this thing about slow songs with words: I generally can't listen to them (outside of liturgical music), especially if they're sad. Sting's slow songs are the only ones I can truly appreciate.

    We could indeed have quite the merry Sting-Song-Sing-Along!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER