Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Monday, November 28, 2005
Lost in Translation
Tonight (it's almost midnight here) we went to a small comedy club, a run-down garage-turned-avante-garde-small-theater in the heart of European Capital City. I was invited by a few friends and I admit that I was a bit concerned that I wouldn't understand anything, since the "program" featured local ECC artists performing completely improvised skits. As it turned out, I understood nearly everything and had a great time, and since I had a cappuccino while I was there I'm WIDE awake (I don't normally drink coffee at all -- never, in fact -- but I thought ordering a cappuccino was a bit more appropriate than ordering a hot chocolate [my hot beverage of choice] and I wasn't in the mood for something alcoholic).

One of the best skits featured two guys who were sort of doing a Penn & Teller-esque sort of thing, with one main guy taking the lead and his "sidekick" in the background doing silly things. At the beginning of their skit, the main guy said (in Foreign Language): "OK, I'm going to try to rile you all up and I hope you'll understand me because I'm going to do it in English." The audience laughed a little and then he shouted in English, at the top of his lungs with his fist raised in the air:

"Ladies and Gentlemen -- are you ready to be ROCKED?!"

I nearly died laughing.

I was, indeed, ready "to be rocked."
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 11/28/2005 04:53:00 PM  
0 Words of Wisdom:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER