Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Sunday, November 20, 2005
Feeling Worse
Just found out that I didn't get the job at Interview #1. Apparently I was a "close second," but unfortunately the "close second" position doesn't come with a salary.

A bit deflated. OK, honestly, more than a bit deflated. I know it's stupid of me to think that everyone should like me the best and to worry a little when they don't like me the best, but still.

Life goes on. Obviously, there are reasons I was not meant to be at this place. I'm sure they are good reasons, and I'm sure that I will never know what they are. I will be sad for a few hours. Then I will stop being sad and look forward to new opportunities.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 11/20/2005 04:00:00 PM  
9 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 5:10 PM, Blogger phd me said…

    Shoot. I'm sorry to hear that, Professor Me. Obviously, I think they made a big mistake!

     
  • At 5:17 PM, Blogger jo(e) said…

    That sucks. Sorry to hear it.

     
  • At 6:44 PM, Blogger BrightStar said…

    oh, honey... *sigh* I know what this feels like. Even if it was not Dream Job, no one wants to be anything other than First Choice.

    Be sad for a while. It's okay, but you WILL get a great job at the end of this process. It's still early!!!

     
  • At 1:49 AM, Blogger Bewildered Academic said…

    Aw...I'm sorry, Professor Me. I agree with BrightStar. Indulge yourself a little if that makes you feel better. You will totally get a great job! You're too interesting not to get one! :-)

     
  • At 7:48 AM, Blogger Lilian said…

    I hope you feel OK soon. I just wanted to let you know that I recently added you to my blogroll. I too am an ABD mom, and reading other ABD mom blogs has been extremely helpful to me :)

    I wish you the best of luck with the other schools. And I'll be back :)

     
  • At 5:09 PM, Blogger Prof. Me said…

    Thanks, friends, for these nice comments. I am OK with this now, truly. As you know, I have the BEST advisor in the world who said some lovely things to cheer me up (including telling me a story about his first rejection that made me laugh out loud, considering that he's now one of the most respected scholars in my field), a husband who offered to fly to Europe to cheer me up (in jest, of course!), and a toddler who said, "you should come home now, Mom" last night on the phone.

    What more does a girl need? A silly job? I think not.

     
  • At 7:47 PM, Blogger ABDmom said…

    Prof Me, I can only second everything B* said.

    And, FWIW, you see to have the right attitude about all of it.

    Some very lucky school is going to snatch you up, that I'm sure of.

     
  • At 12:12 PM, Blogger La Lecturess said…

    I second and third everything that's been said, especially the getting-an-even-BETTER-job part--but I'm still really sorry. I know how blues-inspiring this kind of thing is.

     
  • At 1:59 AM, Blogger Demetri said…

    Lift a glass, say cheers, then drain it, for moral victories.

    Sometimes they all remember who took the silver.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER