Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Sunday, November 20, 2005
Feeling Happy, Feeling Sad
A short post.

I'm feeling happy because it's already November 20th and I will soon be reunited with T and ST. I simply cannot wait -- ten more days. Nine, actually, since the 30th is a travel day. I've accomplished a lot here (not as much as I'd hoped, but then again my hopes were quite ambitious for a four-week stay) and learned a lot -- I actually have a whole new perspective on the dissertation, a whole new explanation for why some of my hypotheses are turning out so strangely. I can't wait to get home and start writing again, back in my cozy office where I always know that T and ST are just around the corner.

I'm also happy because I have another on-campus interview. That's three so far. That's way more than I expected, especially given that one of my best friends (who was widely considered one of the top candidates in her subfield last year) had four interviews. I wish, however, that Interview School #1 would hurry up and make up their minds so I would know where I stand. If offered that job, I would take it.

Additionally, I'm happy that I was able to go to a real Mass this morning. Priest in full garb, TEN altar servers (TEN, dressed in the traditional red and white altar "uniform"), incense (Feast of Christ the King), a great homily, and communion. It was wonderful. I feel refreshed.

I am, however, feeling a little sad because Interview #3 is supposed to take place the week of Interview #2, which means I'd have to be gone another full week. That'd be FIVE WEEKS away from my son, and I'm not willing to do that. It's also complicated because Interview #2 is December 4-6 and the flight is already booked and paid for (but not by me, of course!) and Interview #3 is supposed to be December 7-9... which would be fine except that T has a conference he is DIRECTING from December 6-10 and so I have no one to watch ST. No one. We have no relatives in the area, and most of our good friends (people we'd trust with ST) have wacky schedules as it is. My Dad did offer to drive down (8 hours!) to watch ST, but I hate to have him drive all that way for just a few nights. Not sure what to do. Ideally, I'd postpone Interview #3, but I'm not sure what their timetable is. And I assume they want me to interview in early December simply because it's probably their last week of classes and they probably want me to teach a class. Grr. It's so complicated. I hate complications.

But overall, all is well and I am confident that things will work out. I just need to relax, let the situation settle down a bit, and figure out a solution. At the end of the day, I need to be sure that I'm attentive to the important things. After a month away, the important thing is being with my family.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 11/20/2005 07:47:00 AM  
1 Words of Wisdom:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER