Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Tuesday, October 18, 2005
Wishy-Washy
Ugh.

I have been working all day (OK, not the two hours I spent in bed this morning battling a migraine) on this practice job talk I have to give tomorrow, and I absolutely hate it. The theory is decent. It's an interesting topic. I actually like the topic a lot. But the evidence consists of qualitative case studies, only two of which are complete so far (they're very complicated AND in a foreign language), and so the evidence just seems... wishy-washy. The dissertation examines a difficult-to-readily-observe process, and everything is just do doggone subtle that it's hard to communicate why it's significant. Grr.

Why, oh why didn't I choose the other dissertation topic, the one with lots of data and lots of regressions? The one with easily quantifiable and explainable results? Why, oh why do I always go for the topics that require so much interpretation, so much reading, so much WORK?

Stupid, stupid me.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 10/18/2005 11:10:00 PM  
2 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 4:59 AM, Blogger BrightStar said…

    oh no!! I totally know this feeling. I think it's better to have this before the practice talk than the real talk. I hope you're practicing before a community of folks who help you see / remember all of the good parts about your work.

     
  • At 10:46 AM, Blogger phd me said…

    Because the other topic wouldn't be nearly as interesting or as well-suited to your talents. :) Feel better; breathe deeply; and good luck!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER