The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT
Quote of the Day
Sunday, October 02, 2005
The Weekend in Numbers
We have returned from our whirlwind journey to Marathon City. Here are the vital statistics from our trip:

297: miles from our front door to Marathon City

We left at around 3:00pm on Friday and made good time to our hotel. Bill, Lapdog (that's not a very nice nickname, I realize... let's call her "Rita"), the MIL, and my cute nephews arrived shortly after we did. I will pinch myself as I type this, but we actually had a pleasant, enjoyable conversation with Bill and Rita, ST played with my nephews like old pals -- it was quite nice.

$158.78: cost of pre-marathon dinner at an Italian restaurant on Saturday

Not too bad, considering we fed three kids and six adults, and we even had dessert. The bad thing was that I started to feel very crummy mid-way through the dinner and couldn't properly enjoy my cannoli.

$1.50: cost of my fantastic new haircut

As I've mentioned before, my sister Julie is a very talented stylist. When I'm here in my university town, I only get my hair trimmed. When I'm near Marathon City, I go to Julie. I always BEG to pay her for the haircuts, since she normally charges over $40 for one, but she refuses payment altogether. I told her I had to give her something. "What about $2.00?" I said, joking. "Too much," she said. "Maybe a dollar." We compromised at $1.50. Quite a bargain for the best haircut I've ever had.

2: number of new books I bought for ST at the highly organized Barnes and Noble

Our Barnes & Noble here always seems a bit messy. The one in Marathon City was spectacular, and I found a cool book about airplanes for ST as well as a new dinosaur book. He was thrilled.

6:05: time we woke up this morning

T was very excited to get downtown for the marathon start, and so we were all ready by 6:50am. we checked out of the hotel and Julie drove us all to the start line, where we dropped T off. We told him we'd meet him at the finish line. The race started at 8:00am, and so we planned to be at the finish line by 11:30am.

5: number of times ST said, "My tummy hurts" before 11:00am

Julie, ST and I drove to her apartment, where we were supposed to have breakfast together. Didn't happen. ST was crying uncontrollably, clutching his stomach and writhing on the ground. He clung to me, wanting to lie down, but every time I laid him down on the bed he screeched in pain. He was sweaty and sticky, and his tummy was hard as a rock. I can quite honestly say that ST has never been constipated in his 2.5 years, and so I figured that he was just stopped up. I rubbed his tummy and he seemed to calm down, but he didn't poop. (Yes, that nugget of information will be useful later in this post.)

115: number of minutes it took to find parking near the Finish Line

We were supposed to arrive at the finish line by 11:30am, as T figured he'd cross it just before noon. We left Julie's apartment after ST settled down, and arrived at the race location at around 11:10am. We then hunted for a parking spot for almost two hours, but to no avail. We missed T's finish. That sucked. We did finally secure a spot, and then we met T, Bill, Julie, MIL and my nephews on the grass. T looked pretty terrible. But he made it.

3:55: hours and minutes it took T to run 26.2 miles

Very, very proud of my husband. He wanted to run the marathon in under four hours, and he did it. After refueling and resting a bit after the race, we hobbled back to our car and drove to Julie's apartment so T could shower.

101.6: ST's temperature after the marathon

As we rushed to see T after the marathon, ST worsened. He was moaning a lot, sweaty, and still complaining of his hurting stomach. I didn't know what to do -- I had to pick up T, and I had to get ST some help. Immediately after the marathon I rushed ST to the ER that is close to Julie's apartment, and he was seen soon after. He was truly miserable. They couldn't find anything wrong with him, although the blood tests they ran did show some indication of a slight bacterial infection. We were sent home with antibiotics and strict orders to stop at an ER on our way home if ST seemed to be in any discomfort. Fortunately we didn't have to, and although ST is still not feeling well, he is currently fast asleep in our bed. He will see his pediatrician in the morning. His fever has subsided; he still hasn't pooped. Very unusual for that boy.

$30.00: cost of new thermometer

We were told to monitor ST's temperature the whole way home. We stopped at Target to pick up a thermometer, and of course they were out of the cheap ones. Grr. But this one is pretty spiffy, and it only takes one second ((literally) to read the temperature. A godsend when you have a squirmy, miserable toddler on your hands.

0: hours spent reading the documents I brought with me

Of course, there was no time to do anything "productive" on this trip. Oh well.

0: number of times I wanted to slap Bill

Amazing statistic, this. He was actually very decent the entire trip. I like happy surprises like this.

0: cost of our hotel room for two nights

MIL, who is exceedingly generous, paid for everyone's hotel room for the two nights we stayed. What a sweetheart! Another surprise.

0: number of minutes it will take me to fall asleep tonight

I'm going now to crawl into bed with my two boys -- one sick, and one sore. I can't think of any place I'd rather be.

(* Cue cheesy "Doogie Howser" music. You know, the synthesized music played as he finishes typing his insightful journal entry? Oh, come on. You watched Doogie Howser, MD. Of course you did.)
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 10/02/2005 10:25:00 PM  
6 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 7:03 AM, Blogger BrightStar said…

    I hope ST is doing okay.

    And OF COURSE I watched Doogie Howser. :)

  • At 10:26 AM, Blogger Prof. Me said…


    I actually almost included you in that parenthetical, because I KNEW that of all of the academic bloggers, you were the most likely to have the "Doogie Howser, MD" theme song stuck in your head after reading my post.

    Crap. Now I have it stuck in my own head. Again.

  • At 10:48 AM, Blogger Demetri said…

    First, I am glad that all seems well with everyone there at journey's end. I hope ST is alright, and congrats to T for actually running a marathon and making his goal. I have a ton of respect for anyone who chooses/has the guts to damage their body in that way. Wild. Archetypal!

    Second, yes Doogie. I remember seeing him in a sinister guest role years later, and I just couldn’t make it work – you know, willing suspension of disbelief came crashing down.

    Third, that thermometer sounds pretty cool. I hope it becomes one of those things that when you buy it, you pretty much guarantee that you'll never need it again.

    Fourth, (and what distracted me through the whole post), I think you were in my burgh today. If that's true, say "hi" next time. I could be wrong about this, but it's pretty funny.

  • At 4:08 PM, Blogger Prof. Me said…


    About your fourth point... explain!

  • At 5:36 PM, Blogger Demetri said…

    Well, there was a marathon in my little city (or pair of them) yesterday. I'm sure this isn't the only place,'s a major enough marathon that not too many would dare to contend with it on a national scale.

    I can be more specific, but don't want to blow any part of your cover inadvertantly. email me if you want (it's in my blogger profile). Plus, it's always good to hear from a socialist.

  • At 8:40 PM, Blogger ABDmom said…

    Hope ST is feeling much better.

    And, cross my heart and hope to die, I have never seen even part of a Doogie Howser episode.

Post a Comment
<< Home
Post History
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates