Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Sunday, October 16, 2005
Toddler Art, Part I
In the past few weeks, ST has become an art maniac. He's turning out masterpiece after masterpiece, we have broken crayons all over the dining room floor, and we're quickly running out of ColorWonder paper (God bless the creators of ColorWonder, by the way). Prior to this ST had not shown much interest in doing anything remotely creative. We'd put out the crayons and draw with him and he'd ignore us, or he'd draw one line and declare "Done!" But now he's into drawing and gluing and fingerpainting and sticking stickers on anything we'll let him. Here is a recent example:

I purchased some construction paper for him ages ago (back in his "anti-art" phase) and cut out a boxful of little shapes in different colors. He discovered that little box of paper shapes the other day and started sticking them all over this paper, and augmented the design with flower stickers I'd saved from some junk mail. ST is particularly proud of this picture, since "I glued it all over, Mom." He wanted to use the glitter but, in the words of Dr. Seuss, "I am not that dumb a dunce."

I am particularly happy that he's discovering art, since that's what I did almost my entire childhood. I come from a very creative family (too creative, sometimes) and so my sister and I would spend the days drawing or making things with construction paper, painting outside, etc. Often, Mom and Dad would join in with us which made it even more fun. Dad always used to draw incredibly scary monsters and dramatic landscapes while Mom taught us how to draw practical things like people, flowers, cars, animals and houses. My parents are both incredibly talented artists -- Mom actually worked as as commercial artist for a few years until she realized that she hated creating art for money, and Dad has always been involved in some sort of artistic venture. Their creativity flows beyond the canvas, however, and into other things: my Mom is an amazing quilter, for example, and my Dad can create anything -- anything -- out of wood. They recently gutted the entire upper floor of their house and redid everything themselves, right down to sanding and staining EACH PLANK of their new hardwood floors. The only thing they couldn't do was make the new countertop, but that was the only time there were workers in their house for the duration of the project. I wish I had even half the artistic talent my parents have. I hope ST gets some of it, too.

Anyway, in other toddler-related news, we visited a farm today and went through a corn maze, a pumpkin patch, and a petting zoo. ST had a blast, but the fun on the farm was no match for what we happened upon later: the firehouse in town, where the firemen were washing the trucks outside. We stopped and the men were very willing to let ST climb all over the trucks, turn on the lights and sirens, and pull on the hoses. It was toddler nirvana. They gave him a plastic firehat and a sticker and ST was thrilled. One of the firefighters told me that, for ST's next birthday, they'd be happy to drive a truck over to our cul-de-sac for kids to see and play in. Sounds like fun to me! Guess we'll be having a firefighter-themed third birthday, and all of the neighborhood kids will be invited. (I'm usually not into themed parties, but this could be big fun.)

Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 10/16/2005 05:50:00 PM  
2 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 6:13 PM, Blogger ABDmom said…

    Wow! What a fun day, and what great firemen! Sounds like ST will have a very cool birthday indeed. :)

    We are going to the farm/pumpkin patch next weekend. Pistola has been talking about it for weeks. She brought it up completely on her own, which makes me wonder: does she actually remember us going last year? How is that even possible?

    And great art! Pistola is becoming more interested in coloring and gluing lately, too. Early summer, she didn't give a rat's ass about the little art projects we do at library storytime. Now, they're one of her favorite things. Must be a developmental thing.

     
  • At 6:57 PM, Blogger Prof. Me said…

    It's amazing what they remember, huh? Pistola will have a ton of fun next weekend -- I hope your weather will be as nice as ours is/was today. A crisp fall day, slight breeze, bright sunshine, and scarlet trees. No better weather for a family day together.

    I'm glad to hear you say that Pistola's art interest is recent, too. For awhile, ST was the only kid I knew who wasn't interested in art -- in fact, at daycare Rita said that she'd never met a kid who didn't like to color before ST! How old is Pistola? (Not sure if you've revealed that in your blog.) Maybe she'll want to come to ST's firefighter birthday this April! :)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER