Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Monday, October 31, 2005
So Long, Farewell, Au Revoir, Auf Wiedersehen
Today is the long goodbye before a short trip. I am spending the day with ST, trying to accomplish the last minute preparations I was too tired to finish last night. Today, I must finish the ironing (T is hopeless with the iron and since he must wear a suit everyday it's essential that I finish it up for him so he can at least go two weeks without making a trip to the cleaners), finish the paper chain I'm making for ST*, finish wrapping the little construction trucks I bought for T to give to ST on certain days while I'm gone, and finish packing all of my electronic essentials (laptop, iPod, digital camera, etc.). I also have to go to the bank and get my traveler's checks. T is stopping by our largest bank this afternoon to pick up some Euros. I also have to take ST to the doctor's office to get his flu shot, and then after his nap we'll carve our pumpkins. Later, trick-or-treating and then one last story with Mom before November begins.

I've had a lot of people calling me in the past few days to say goodbye. I don't like that. In the grand scheme of things, I'm not going to be gone for that long -- people calling to say goodbye makes me feel like I'm stepping off the planet entirely. All of these calls are actually making me feel sadder than I already feel at the thought of leaving T and ST for four weeks. I understand that people are just being kind by calling, but it truly is not helping me.

At any rate, I will blog again as soon as I am able. I leave tomorrow, November 1, in the late afternoon and will arrive in Europe at around noon on November 2 (8 hour time difference). I've been told that the wireless service where I'm going is excellent, so connections shouldn't be a problem.

Wish me luck, fellow bloggers and readers. And if you see a frazzled handsome man in a suit holding a charming and energetic toddler by the hand this month, help them out, won't you?

* I'm making him a paper chain with one link for each day I'm gone. I wrote a note to him inside each link. I thought it would make it easier for him to understand when I'm coming home if he could see the chain getting shorter each day. I must confess that the chain is already uncomfortably long and I'm only finished through November 17th.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 10/31/2005 08:58:00 AM  
5 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 10:07 AM, Blogger Carroll, Violinguist said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 10:09 AM, Blogger Carroll, Violinguist said…

    The chain and truck ideas are sooo sweet; I'm sure they'll mean so much to ST while you're away. And: how creative!

    Have a wonderful trip.

    (P.S. I'm the one who deleted above. I'm editing my thesis today and can't forgive poor grammar :)

     
  • At 10:36 AM, Blogger phd me said…

    Good luck is wished! Have a very productive time in Europe; blog when you can so we can keep up with you; and keep your chin up - the time will pass quickly!

     
  • At 7:34 PM, Blogger ABDmom said…

    Have a wonderful trip! I know it will be difficult be away from ST, but you will get through it. I believe in you! :)

     
  • At 6:33 AM, Blogger BrightStar said…

    I hope all goes well! Best wishes! (I like the chain, too.)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER