Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Monday, October 10, 2005
Phone Interview #1: Check
So it's done. I had my phone interview this afternoon, and it seemed to go OK. It's just impossible to gauge these things. I don't feel bad about it, but I don't feel great about it. I just feel... done with it.

It was a conference call, which I am never good at because I feel like I'm talking to an answering machine. They ask a question, there's a little pause while I try to make sure they're finished speaking, and then I talk. No real "conversation," but a series of questions and answers that are hard to get excited about. The questions were pretty much as expected: tell us about your dissertation research and what you hope to contribute, tell us what courses you'd like to teach, ask us questions, tell us about how you think you'd fit in here. I answered these questions OK, I think, although I rambled a bit on the last one. I had so many things I wanted to say that I shoved them into one super-statement, and that wasn't very effective. I never did have a chance to ask them about their timeline, which is something I really wanted to know. We talked for half an hour. That means they must have only had four candidates on their short list, assuming they talked to everyone for that long (they only allotted two hours for phone interviews).

Everyone was really nice, and the school sounded even better than I had imagined. A really wonderful place to build a career in both teaching and research. I hope that I at least have the opportunity to visit the campus, because I'm much more effective in-person than on the phone. (I have always hated to talk on the phone. My mom used to have to force me to call my friends in school.) We'll see. Whatever the outcome, it was a useful experience.

Now, though, I'm feeling a bit sick. I blame ABDmom, because I've been reading about her illness and I think it's transferred via the internet to me. (Thanks a LOT, ABD!) On a more positive note, however, ST pooped on the potty tonight for the first time in MONTHS, and I can only think that he was somehow channelling Pistola over the wireless waves. Anyway, I had a fever of almost 102 degrees this morning, felt achey and stiff all over, and had a massive headache. I'm feeling a lot better now, but still not quite up to par.

Off to bed for me, I think.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 10/10/2005 09:58:00 PM  
4 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 10:17 AM, Blogger phd me said…

    Congrats on step one - sounds like it went well. Don't overthink it now, just revel in the fact that you're through this hoop!

    Feel better.

     
  • At 7:19 PM, Blogger ABDmom said…

    Oof, it *does* sound like you have what I've had. That is how my symptoms started. BUT, there is the potty training to consider, too. So in the words of that great philsophical manifesto: "you take the good, you take the bad, you take it all, and there you have the facts of life...the facts of life!" :)

     
  • At 7:24 PM, Blogger ABDmom said…

    Oh, and top it off, Lilian at Mama in Translation says I got her sick, too! Sheesh! Must everything be my fault?! ;)

     
  • At 8:01 AM, Blogger Daniel Nexon said…

    "tell us about how you think you'd fit in here"

    I've been on both sides of this process, and I've never really understood the purpose of this question. To find out what the job candidate thinks they know about the nature of the school? To see if they did some cursory research on it? To give the candidate an excuse to jam-pack the equivalent of "please hire me" into a few sentences? As filler? Yet it almost always gets asked....

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER