Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Saturday, October 29, 2005
Interview #2... Maybe
I got a call this morning from a university I interviewed with at our National Conference in September, Small Urban College. They received my application and want me to come out for an on-campus interview. Great! Except...

I'll be in Europe. All month. And they want to have all of the candidates in before Thanksgiving so they can make someone an offer before Christmas.

I explained my situation to the Chair of the Small Urban's Department, the same man who interviewed me at the National Conference. We clicked really well at the Conference, and so it was easy to explain my situation to him. When I originally planned this trip it was for my own research only -- just a quick trip to examine some documents that aren't available elsewhere. In the past few weeks, however, the trip has evolved into a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to intern in a foreign government. A lot of people have been involved on the European side of this to make it happen for me -- people have truly gone out of their way to make my stay in Europe an amazing and fruitful one, a visit I could not have arranged on my own. So this trip is no longer something I can really be very flexible with anymore.

Small Urban's Chair is going to get back to me early next week (the day before I leave for Europe), after he discusses my situation with the Dean and his other colleagues. They might be able to wait until December, he said, but the Dean has told him that they should "plan to move quickly" on this hire.

Small Urban is an interesting place, one that I would certainly like to see. But, if I put all the places I've applied to in rank order, it does not make the top five. It comes in at about seven or eight, mostly because of the location. The job itself looks great, but I'm not sure I'd want to live in that area of the country. T says he'd like for me to interview there just to see what it's like, but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle at this point. Our Placement Director has noted that I could possibly fly back from Europe for a few days in order to interview, but that's both very expensive (over $1,000) and very inconvenient for the internship, especially since I'm only going to be in Europe a total of four weeks anyway. So overall it's just a gross situation, one I wanted to avoid.

I am thrilled, however, that Small Urban is interested in me, interested enough to fly me out. And I hope they CAN wait until December. Deep down, however, I hope that the interview I just had went well enough so that none of this will be an issue by the time December rolls around.

UPDATE: Small Urban called -- situation resolved. I can interview in December, just a few days after I return from Europe. Whew! I'm very happy it worked out.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 10/29/2005 01:07:00 PM  
3 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 4:40 PM, Blogger BrightStar said…

    There will be other opportunities to interview, I would guess, but your field moves fast! I didn't have any job interviews until January, and you have schools wanting to make offers in December!

    Congrats on the validation through this invitation, even if it doesn't work out to interview there.

     
  • At 10:26 PM, Blogger Daniel Nexon said…

    Um... they're not going to pay for your flight from Europe? That's not typical, IIRC.

     
  • At 8:57 AM, Blogger Prof. Me said…

    B*, yes it is all happening pretty quickly. This is only slightly faster than is typical for my field, I think. Two of my friends had jobs before Thanksgiving last year. Although interviews continue into the spring, now is the time when most of the posting go up and the interviews are happening.

    Dan -- I'm sure they'd pay for some of the flight, but do you really think they'd pay for ALL of it? None of my advisors even mentioned this possibility -- they always assumed that Small Urban would pay for the amount that it would take to fly me from the Midwest to Small Urban, and I'd have to cover the rest.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER