Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Tuesday, October 11, 2005
Disappearing Tuesday
Where did today go? It's now after 3:30pm and I have to pick up ST in an hour. I hate days like this! I did not accomplish anything. Nothing. Here's how I've wasted this day:

1.) Found and read an article on a funky new perspective on my dissertation topic. Admittedly, I spent a large chunk of time on this, but not nearly what I'd planned.

2.) Tidied the house (I do that every morning).

3.) Researched international phone cards from Germany to the U.S. (Any recommendations? I found one called Pingo, but I don't know much about it. The rates seemed good.)

4.) Had a little cry (15 minutes) when I thought about leaving ST at daycare the day I leave for Germany.

5.) Talked to T when he called from work. He's not feeling well. And when he's sick, he's SICK.

6.) Wrote thank you emails to the search committee members from my phone interview yesterday. This was difficult for a few reasons: first, I struggled with the fact that I am a huge believer in handwritten notes but this school seems to be moving very fast and I didn't want my notes to arrive too late so I had to resort to emails; second, since it was a conference call, I couldn't hear the names of all of the faculty members present very well. I heard what they said, but there was no formal introduction made at the beginning -- each one just introduced himself as he spoke. So, I feel like I might be missing one member. Grr. I emailed the chair today to ensure that I'd gotten everyone, but she hasn't yet emailed me back.

7.) Emailed feedback on my friend's not-so-great presentation yesterday. That was hard to do. I wanted to be encouraging but also honest, and there were honestly a lot of things he could do better.

8.) Took a half hour nap because I couldn't keep my eyes open.

9.) Emailed my dearest friend about the phone interview and other stuff. He emailed me back so I was of course obliged to email again. (!)

10.) Talked to my mom for 15 minutes about the phone interview. She called wondering if they'd offered me the job on the spot. Right! Gotta love mothers, who always believe you're the best person for any job.

I think that's it. How dull. What a waste. But, since T is sick and has already warned me that he "will not be the most useful husband around" tonight, I should have plenty of time to get more work done in the evening after ST goes to sleep. I work better at night, anyway.

Here's to a productive Tuesday night!
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 10/11/2005 03:36:00 PM  
2 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 7:26 PM, Blogger ABDmom said…

    You got a lot done today, so don't beat yourself up for being unproductive! Sheesh! I feel the same about my day, and I didn't get nearly as much accomplished as you did. You deserve a pat on the back.

     
  • At 9:05 PM, Blogger BrightStar said…

    some days are just like that... I know it's not fun, but it's still quite a lot that you got done.

    wow! you contacted all of the phone interviewers? That's awesome!!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER