Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Thursday, October 06, 2005
Call Me!
There are two physical things I don't really like about myself: my nose and my voice. My nose is the family nose, passed on from generation to generation, and it always looks better on the men. It seems big (to me -- no one else really notices) and because of that I don't like to see myself in profile or have pictures taken from the side. I'm learning to overlook the nose, however, because 1.) it IS the family nose, and I'm secretly a bit proud that I got it; and 2.) I don't really believe in cosmetic surgery, and the nose is not THAT bad anyway.

My voice is another issue. It's not that it's annoying in a Victoria Jackson or Fran Drescher kind of way, it's just that it's kind of high-pitched. Whenever I hear myself on a recording, I think that I sound like a child. On more than one occasion in my adult life, telemarketers have asked to speak to my mother when I answer the phone. My first boyfriend's mother, before she got to know me, referred to me as "the munchkin" because of my voice on the phone. When I was working at Barnes and Noble, I once had a guy tell me that I had "the cutest voice in the world." It's not a bad voice, but I just don't think it sounds very grown-up, despite the words that come out of my mouth. Over the years, I've tried to master my "lecture voice," and I certainly have my "mom voice" down pat -- for these voices, I consciously try to lower the pitch of my voice so that I sound more authoritative. When I get excited, however, I can feel the pitch rise.

I am thinking about this now because I just found out that I have a phone interview next Monday afternoon. The interview is with one of my "top picks" of academic jobs, one of the jobs I'm the most interested in so far. I have a list of questions I might be asked, and I'm formulating a list of questions to ask the committee via the conference call. I'll be well-prepared. But I'm really worried about my voice, and hoping that the committee members won't think that I've asked a seven-year old to take the call in my stead. T said that he would do mock telephone interviews with me over the weekend, which will help. And I know that HWC will practice with me, too. But I'm not sure if practice will help me to keep my excitement in check, and thus keep my voice below a range where only dogs and bats can hear me.

I'm thrilled to have the interview, of course, but I'm worried about making an impression over the phone. I'm not a very serious or formal person, and I'm afraid that I'll come off as too flippant over the phone, too silly. I'm afraid that I'll stammer. I'm afraid of the Awkward Pause. I'm afraid that I'll say something that will be taken the wrong way. I'm afraid of the bizarre question I won't be able to satisfactorily answer. I'm worried about the fact that I won't be able to see these people (they don't even have pictures on their website!) and won't be able to guage their reactions to my statements. And I'm really concerned about hearing them: I've participated in conference calls in the past, and each time I've had difficulty hearing everything that's said on the other end. I'm worried that the person who applied for their position is not the person they're going to hear from on Monday.

But at least I won't have to worry about my nose.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 10/06/2005 10:20:00 AM  
4 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 11:33 AM, Blogger Daniel Nexon said…

    Congratulations!

     
  • At 1:53 PM, Blogger BrightStar said…

    definitely congratulations. :) At least you don't have the Valley Girl voice that I have... if I can make it through phone interview stages with this like-omigod! voice, you'll be fine. :)

     
  • At 3:55 PM, Blogger phd me said…

    Fantastic news! Right there with you on the voice - I thought my ears would bleed from listening to mine while I was transcribing interviews. :) Just take a deep breath and smile - can't wait to hear how it goes!

     
  • At 6:05 PM, Blogger ABDmom said…

    Congratulations! Definitely let us know how it goes!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER