Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Tuesday, September 20, 2005
Seven Things From Me
Perhaps the entire blogosphere has done this one already, but I've seen it a few places now and thought it was interesting. Plus, I've had a less-than-awe-inspiring day filled with writing more cover letters and organizing job application materials, and so I thought this meme would be more interesting than anything else I could write today.

Seven Things I Plan to do Before I Die:
  • Live for an extended period of time in Europe (preferably Germany or Austria)
  • Have another child (or two?)
  • Finish this dissertation (unless it kills me first)
  • Get involved in a volunteer organization to help the poor or to help educate people (especially children) about nutrition and health
  • Raise my child(ren) to be thoughtful, courteous, informed members of society
  • Visit Australia and New Zealand
  • Help my husband to realize his dream of opening his own practice
Seven Things I Can Do:
  • Speak, write, and read German
  • Cook and bake well
  • Keep myself positive no matter what the circumstances
  • Offer practical solutions to problems and give advice
  • Play the flute reasonably well
  • Gather research on even the smallest of topics and organize it for others
  • Multitask effectively (most days)
Seven Things I Cannot Do:
  • Swim
  • Be sad or depressed for long periods of time
  • Really understand people who are sad/depressed for long periods of time*
  • Make gravy
  • Catch a ball in a mitt
  • Turn the ends of my hair under with a round brush and a hair dryer
  • Keep my opinions to myself
Seven Things That Attract Me to the Opposite Sex:
  • Intelligence
  • Eloquence
  • Sense of humor
  • Sparkling eyes
  • Honesty
  • Punctuality
  • Respectfulness
Seven Things I Say Most Often:
  • "OK then!"
  • "Are you listening to me?"
  • "Stay in your bed!" (To ST, who never stays in his bed.)
  • "That's the way it is."
  • "We'll just wait and see what happens."
  • "It will all work out in the end."
  • "Really?"
Seven Celebrity Crushes:
  • Quite honestly, I cannot think of one! There are people I enjoy watching on film (e.g., Steve Martin, Anthony Hopkins), but they are certainly not "crushes!" Maybe we should adapt this meme for the academic world and have it be "Seven People You Admire Most In Your Field," but then some anonymity would be lost. (Is it sad that I can readily think of seven scholars, but not seven celebrities?!)

* I am struggling with this right now with my brother. It really bothers me that I can't "fix" things for him, and that I can't truly understand why he feels like he does. I'm no good with sympathy, either, unfortunately. I do try, but I just am not good at it.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 9/20/2005 03:15:00 PM  
1 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 3:55 PM, Blogger Mom2the5rs said…

    Professor Me: Hi, I am a mom to 5 and I homeschool my children. I have recently began blogging and I love it. I really like your blog. I especially like the concept of "seven things". I will post my own version of this self-survey on my site.

    Mom2the5rs

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER