Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Monday, September 12, 2005
One Hundred Things
Everyone's asleep, my cover letters are written, my evaluations are summarized, and my writing samples are almost ready to go. I have a handle on things. The moon is shining brightly, the house still smells a little of chicken enchiladas and ST's Bedtime Bath. The dryer is humming downstairs, and I just polished off half a glass of chocolate milk. Aside from the enormous housefly that is buzzing around my head, life is good tonight.

It's the perfect night for the "100 Things About Me" post of the sort I've seen on other blogs and have enjoyed reading immensely. Here is what I have come up with tonight:

1.) I am growing my hair out, but am pining for the day when I can cut it again to mid-length.
2.) The only reason I like having it longer is so that I can throw it back in a ponytail, which is more convenient when one is hunched over a book or at the computer all day.
3.) My husband teases that I would die without my computer.
4.) He's probably right.
5.) Over the years, I've discovered that my husband and I have come to share a lot of the same opinions on things, even on major issues that divided us when we were dating.
6.) I think I have moved my opinions closer to his rather than the other way around, and this is because my husband has always been a compassionate, easy-going individual.
7.) I used to be very rigid in how I thought about the world -- right and wrong, black and white.
8.) Although I think in shades of gray now, black is still my favorite color to wear.
9.) Everyone says that my best color is pale blue, however, since it goes with my eye color.
10.) I have horrible eyesight due to amblyopia and strabismus in my left eye.
11.) My vision problems are not correctable.
12.) Sometimes, after a long night of reading or writing, my eyes ache very badly and when I turn away from my book or my computer, objects look distorted for a few minutes.
13.) This really frightens me, since I cannot imagine anything worse than not being able to see.
14.) But I am also frightened of small spaces, large spiders, driving or walking over bridges at night, and being in deep water because I cannot swim.
15.) When I was very young, my Mom sent me to swimming lessons at the YMCA.
16.) I was too petrified to go in, and so I just stood under the showers so that I would be wet when my lesson time was up and Mom would think I'd been swimming.
17.) I wish I knew how to swim and have seriously considered taking lessons as an adult.
18.) ST and I did take "Parent-Tot" lessons together this summer, and it was a kick.
19.) During these lessons, it was obvious that ST has not inherited his mother's fear of the water, and this was a relief.
20.) I hope ST has inherited some of my more admirable traits.
21.) I am a positive and happy person most of the time.
22.) I have been accused of "smiling too much" and "being too perky."
23.) I do not think these are bad things.
24.) One bad thing about me is that I can be very judgmental and quick to jump to conclusions.
25.) For me, he hardest section of a paper to write is the conclusion.
26.) When I was younger, I used to truly enjoy writing reports and papers, but that enjoyment tapered off in graduate school.
27.) I am very glad that my graduate school career is almost over.
28.) But I am more glad that my career in academia is (God willing) just beginning.
29.) I have wanted to be an academic since I was in high school, although at that time I thought I wanted to earn a Ph.D. in German Literature.
30.) I am glad I didn't do that, because I now can enjoy German literature as a hobby and not as a job.
31.) While I enjoy my discipline, I do not do it for fun most of the time.
32.) For fun, I like to cook and bake, read classic fiction, and play with T and ST.
33.) The best thing about cooking is receiving compliments from T and ST, who always say something nice about everything I make even if it isn't spectacular.
34.) One time I made blueberry pancakes and forgot to put the baking powder in, which resulted in blueberry hockey pucks that were barely edible.
35.) T said that they were the best hockey pucks he'd ever tried, and then proceeded to make himself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
36.) I don't like peanut butter and jelly together in a sandwich.
37.) I do, however, love peanut butter straight out of the jar, preferably with some chocolate chips stuck in it.
38.) I am not a chocoholic, but I do have an intense appreciation for dark chocolate.
39.) This is interesting to me: I love very dark chocolate but I don't like coffee, and the flavors are very similar.
40.) When I was pregnant with ST, the smell of coffee was the only thing that made me feel sick.
41.) Otherwise, I had the textbook pregnancy.
42.) I collect textbooks on various subjects that interest me.
43.) My favorite textbook is one on nutrition I acquired last year.
44.) I have become an informal student of nutrition, and it guides me through my meal planning every week.
45.) I make a list of all the suppers we'll have for seven days before I go shopping so that I can avoid numerous trips to the grocery store during the week.
46.) While I generally enjoy going to the grocery store, I do not enjoy shopping for other things (except books).
47.) It bothers me that, when we get together with T's family over the holidays, our post-Christmas activity is usually to hit the malls for sales.
48.) Christmas is my least favorite holiday because I don't enjoy buying presents or receiving them.
49.) I do, however, enjoy presents from T because he always knows just what to get for me.
50.) One of my favorite presents from T was a bouquet he bought from a greenhouse that specializes in unusual flowers; T picked out every bloom in the bouquet and had reason for picking each one.
51.) I have a small garden and my favorite plants in it are the columbines.
52.) I have red, yellow and purple columbines that bloom in mid-May or early June.
53.) T and I were married in June 1999.
54.) While our day was quite lovely, I can honestly say that I do not like weddings and try to get out of going to them.
55.) I am not a very sentimental person, unless it comes to ST.
56.) For some reason I became very sentimental when ST moved from his crib to his regular bed this June.
57.) I make my bed every morning without fail, as I do not like to sleep in a bed that has been "open" all day.
58.) If I had tons of spare time, I would see to it that I had fresh bed linens and fresh towels every single day, since I love the smell and feel of clean, fluffy fabrics.
59.) Laundry is one chore that I truly do not mind doing.
60.) I do not, however, like to sweep, vacuum, or mop, and also do not like emptying the dishwasher.
61.) When I was growing up, my parents did not have a dishwasher.
62.) We also did not have cable TV, and only had reception for ABC, CBS, and PBS.
63.) I did not see MTV until I was in college -- I wasn't impressed.
64.) I do not listen to popular music in general, but enjoy classical, jazz and our local NPR station.
65.) My favorite composer is George Gershwin.
66.) Gershwin shares a birthday with two of my other favorites: T.S. Eliot and my mom.
67.) I grew up in a wonderful family with two parents who I adore and admire.
68.) I hope that T and I can be even half as good to ST and any subsequent children as my parents were to me and my siblings.
69.) I want to have more children soon, but I do have mixed feelings about it.
70.) It's hard to have a family and be an academic sometimes, but I truly believe that the rewards are greater than any temporary hardships.
71.) Personally, being married and becoming a mother during graduate school has inspired me to work harder toward my goals than ever before.
72.) I often feel sad for people like my sister, who desperately want to have a family but cannot find the right partner.
73.) I have a roller-coaster relationship with my sister because we are very different and sometimes cannot understand each other.
74.) My brother and I, however, have an easy relationship because we are very much alike, despite the fact that he is nine years younger than I am.
75.) I can honestly say that my life keeps getting better as I age.
76.) My birthday is in December, which is my favorite month of the year (Christmas aside).
77.) I enjoy the religious aspects of Christmas, the weather, and the holiday decorations, and some of the old Christmas music.
78.) My favorite Christmas song is "It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas" as sung by Bing Crosby.
79.) Bing Crosby is one of my favorite vocalists and I also enjoy watching his films.
80.) I'm not sure that I could pinpoint a favorite film, although "Dial M for Murder," "Rear Window," the musical "Guys and Dolls," and the very silly "High Society" would surely be candidates.
81.) "Guys and Dolls" inspired T and I to change ST's name (months before he was born) from what we originally planned to what it ended up being, and "Guys and Dolls" happened to be on TV when I accidentally switched on the television immediately after delivering ST.
82.) I am proud of the fact that ST can recognize the songs from "Guys and Dolls" and can sing along.
83.) I am prouder of the fact that ST does not recognize McDonald's or any other fast food chain, since we do not eat fast food.
84.) I must admit, however, that on a recent solo trip I ate a McDonald's hot fudge sundae and it was pretty good.
85.) I have a recipe for the best hot fudge sauce of all time.
86.) I cannot make gravy to save my life, which I OK since I do not really like it.
87.) I used to be a very picky eater, but have grown out of that to a large degree.
88.) One combination I really dislike is sweet/savory, which is why I don't care for barbeque sauce on meat or most Asian food (e.g., sweet and sour chicken).
89.) I have never been anywhere in Asia, but would love to visit.
90.) I have been all over Europe, and would love to live there again someday.
91.) There is a long list of things I would love to do, and I am afraid that one lifetime will not be long enough.
92.) I would like to travel to Australia and New Zealand.
93.) I would like to take flute lessons again.
94.) I would like to be a guest on NPR someday because I love talk radio.
95.) Just once, I would like to act in a play to see if I could do it.
96.) I would like to become involved in a city council committee.
97.) I would like to be an expert on something not related to my discipline, something unusual.
98.) I would like to be remembered as a woman who always put her family first.
99.) I would like to learn to make excellent jam.
100.) I will make the best of the life I have.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 9/12/2005 11:40:00 PM  
2 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 6:52 AM, Blogger BrightStar said…

    I liked reading this and learning more about you. I also enjoyed seeing that we have some things in common... I won't list them all, but one thing is that I agree with you about the bed making and I have always wanted to go to Australia and New Zealand, too.

    YAY about getting the job search stuff done / together.

     
  • At 8:24 AM, Blogger La Lecturess said…

    Enjoyed this post. (And I LOVE Bing Crosby, too!)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER