Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Friday, September 09, 2005
Last Minute Lucy Strikes Again
Grrr!

I am so frustrated with myself. Despite the fact that I started compiling information for my job application file months ago, I am still skimming perilously close to a deadline. All the work I did over the summer on the file is now being redone because I don't like it (teaching and research statements have now been written FOUR times each), my teaching evaluations are only half compiled (I'm making a huge Excel spreadsheet and typing out student comments for those institutions that simply want a teaching evaluation precis and not the whole packet of evals), and I'm not satisfied with two of the three dissertation chapers I'm submitting. My CV is finalized (thank God), and my teaching portfolio is almost done and looks pretty good.

Ugh.

How the heck am I supposed to finish a dissertation when there's all this stuff to do? I feel like I've been away from my research for weeks.

Wish me luck. First deadline is next Thursday. I think I'm going to vomit.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 9/09/2005 10:45:00 AM  
2 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 3:10 PM, Blogger academic coach said…

    It is *very* hard to work on your dissertation during the semester you're sending out resumes. Don't be too hard on yourself. Be sure to get outside feedback (esp. from profs if possible) so that you don't spend too much time rewriting what is perfectly acceptable.

     
  • At 8:37 PM, Blogger Prof. Me said…

    Thanks, Academic Coach!

    I've been using my writing center coach for feedback on teaching and research statements, because I have VERY hands-on advisors who insist upon dozens of drafts for everything. (No less than 12 drafts of my prospectus -- I'm not kidding -- even though the other three members of my committee said they would have passed me on my first draft!) My advisors are amazing scholars and perfectionists, and their views on writing multiple drafts have rubbed off on me a bit too much -- I've worked with each of them on projects, and their own writing processes are also draft-heavy. I'm now no longer satisfied with anything I write, and that's frustrating. Fortunately, my writing center tutor is showing me again that, in most cases, two or three drafts is really quite enough.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER