Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Monday, August 22, 2005
Running Commentary
I went for a run last night, and I am happy to report that it was actually quite pleasant. Two miles in the early evening, along the bike trail that runs through our town. The entire trail was shaded, it was cool and not very humid, and "90's Flashback" was on the radio. I've discovered that my running pace is roughly similar to Sheryl Crow's "All I Wanna Do" or Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Under the Bridge;" I own neither album, but my very hip ex-roommates from college did and so I know the lyrics by heart. (Actually, I know Sheryl Crow's lyrics from sitting in a bar in Austria with eight other Americans drinking Gösser beer, but that's another story, and I'll have it be known that I don't even like beer and that I lost respect for Sheryl Crow when she started dating Lance Armstrong, and that I lost respect for Lance Armstrong when he ditched his wife and kids.) Anyway, I felt really good during the entire run. Two miles took me 27 minutes to do, and my intervals were two minutes running and one minute walking with a one minute stop at a park bench at the top of a long incline for a rest. Weight after the run: 148lbs. My new shoes are fantastic: for the first time in my life, I can run for more than a few minutes without searing pain in my ankles. The shoes were expensive (to someone who loves to buy cheap shoes at Target), but they were worth every penny.

Moving on...

Today is the opening of classes at the University, and it feels really strange not to be a part of it. I have a fellowship so I don't have to teach -- my only "duty" at the University this entire year is to write my dissertation and look for a job. That is very nice, but the pressure is not. I feel like I should be working on the dissertation ALL THE TIME -- I have no excuses. No lectures to write, no students to keep track of, no exams to grade. Just me and my carrel in the library or my desk at home, (theoretically) typing away or reading. Blah. I sometimes wish I had chosen to write a very quantitative dissertation, a straightforward piece of research using an existing dataset where I could just formulate a theory, run some tests, and interpret the results. (Yes, I know, not all quantitative studies are so straightforward, but I had originally thought of proposing a dissertation that was.) Instead, I opted for a convoluted topic that interests me immensely, but that calls for detailed case study work using the legalese in a foreign language. These blasted case studies are going to take me F O R E V E R to complete. But they're so doggone interesting.

Moving on yet again...

Whoever the blogger is that turned me on to SilverJewelryClub.com -- curses on you! I am now checking that site a million times a day -- it is so cool. I just ordered a mother of pearl ID bracelet and am now obessively watching for a neat mother of pearl necklace to go with it. I need to find out what my ring size is! I'm not a big jewelry person -- I only wear my very simple wedding ring (essentially an anniversary band) and my Mom's old mother's ring -- but I have always loved sterling silver jewelry but never wanted to spend a lot to get it. According to several sources, the jewelry here is great quality and the service is excellent. I will give a full report once my bracelet arrives.

Now off to tidy up the kitchen and then move on to some exciting legal documents in a foreign language. Does life get any better than this?
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 8/22/2005 08:53:00 AM  
3 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 11:20 AM, Blogger Demetri said…

    Hi,

    Long time reader, first time caller here.

    First, congratulations on running and on the discovery of really good shoes! They make all the difference. I think I have about the fussiest feet in the world, so I've had a shoe obsession for awhile.

    Second, and not the biggest deal here, and probably just picking up on an off the cuff bit of your post, but why did you lose respect for Armstrong?

    Have you read any of the things either he or his ex wife have said about the marriage? It's not my impression that he ditched either his wife or kids. It also sounds like it was a fairly amicable split.

    Why did you lose respect for Crowe?

    Is this just a personal thing (for Crowe and Armstrong) or would you make the case universal? Are you saying people shouldn't divorce? Are you saying that people shouldn't date people who are divorced?

    I don't follow.

     
  • At 11:47 AM, Blogger Prof. Me said…

    Hi, Demetri!

    You were actually the very first person to respond to one of my posts EVER! You responded to my inaugural post back in July (waaaay back in July -- summer seems long gone).

    Yes, I was totally being off the cuff in the post about Crowe and Armstrong. Truth is, I've never really liked either of them, but that's just a general disdain for celebrities coming through, not a statement about divorce or dating in general. You're reminding me that people DO actually read this blog, and that I have to be more careful with my words!

    Lance Armstrong annoys the heck out of me, and for no real good reason. I understand, respect, and am amazed by the fact that he battled cancer and made a recovery when no one thought it was possible. I understand that the divorce was probably the best solution for his family. I just get a little annoyed when really great people seem, on the outside only, perhaps, to be corrupted by celebrity and leave their old lives behind. You never hear about his family anymore -- you hear about the Tour, Sheryl Crowe, and the millions of endorsements he has. That's great for him -- but quite frankly, I'm sick of him, and I feel bad for his kids. I liked the incredible-cancer-survivor-cyclist-dad story better than the Tour-Crowe-Gatorade story. That's all, I suppose. I'm just Lance-Armstronged-out.

    So, no -- I didn't intend to make a statement about anything other than my personal quirks, likes/dislikes here.

     
  • At 2:23 AM, Blogger Demetri said…

    Hey,

    You're right (of course), that was me way back when. Wow. That's funny. I think of myself as commenting so infrequently that I couldn't possibly have said something here before. But it really makes sense. Here's why: I just reread that first post of yours, and aside from me being a historian and not having kids and being a boy (there are probably others, I have pierced ears, long hair, and a size 13 shoe - at least one of these is probably different), your story feels familiar, only I am not as far into the journey. Undergrad and growing up in the midwest, masters in Dublin, then back to the midwest, got married and now it's apply to Ph.D. schools in the midwest. And you know, I've never been more aware of what I don't know. I suspect this will get worse as I learn more. After going through a rigorous research/thesis process (the M.Litt. in Dublin was pure research/writing and defense - it was about 200 pages long), it's quite challenging to write my statement of intent for the Ph.D.

    So it feels like something of a similar journey.


    Really though, don't censor yourself much. It's much more fun this way. You've written nothing that you can't defend. I mean it's not like you were making statements in support of white supremacy or other garbage like that.

    As for Armstrong, yes, his accomplishments are pretty amazing. On a personal level, my heart sort of melted when I saw a piece last year on OLN. He got all giggly and silly when talking about Sheryl Crowe actually writing songs while staying with him. Like he couldn't believe it was happening. I thought it was cute.

    In any case, knowing that I was the first comment poster on your blog, I shall not forget it again. I think it's an honor.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER