Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Wednesday, August 03, 2005
One Born Every Second
According to this article, there's one new blog created about every second. Every second. That's astounding to me, even more so because this blogging trend is one bandwagon I've jumped on, and that is simply not what I usually would do. So why did I do it? And why should you read my blog?

Here are the reasons I started this blog:

1.) I have always wanted to keep a journal, but every time I started one I would get frustrated because it took me too long to write my thoughts down in a pretty, bound book. Since I can type many times faster than I can write longhand, I started keeping a computerized journal. That, too, fell by the wayside because I quickly lost the incentive to write. A weblog seemd to be a good fit for me, because I could capture my thoughts quickly AND have the incentive of a readership to keep me posting. (Now, if I could just actually find a readership, all would be well!)

2.) My current situation is one that I'm sure several women in my field think about or are also in, namely that of an academic wife and mother faced with difficult choices about her career, having more children, etc. There's a journal in my discipline that publishes articles about working in the profession, and I wanted to someday write an article about what it is like for female graduate students balancing the demands of career and family, and what it's like to write a dissertation while raising a child. I found it difficult to keep track of everything I was feeling, and decided a blog was a nice way to record my thoughts so I could write a coherent article in the future.

3.) Sometimes, when you're living in the very unstructured world of ABD-ness, it's difficult to see if you're making progress. By posting here, I'll be able to "see" my work evolve, remember the frustrations, keep track of the pitfalls and glories. I'll also be able to post goals for myself, and publishing for a wide audience (again, assuming I have an audience at all!) makes me feel accountable to someone. That's beneficial to me.

Here are some reasons you might want to read this blog:

1.) You're in a similar situation, perhaps just starting graduate school and you want to know what the end process is like. Perhaps you're curious about whether or not you can successfully manage a family and graduate school.

2.) You're an academic already, and you enjoy reading about graduate students and dissertation work, and you have advice to give. Perhaps you have a family, too, and have some useful tips.

3.) You want to be a member of the crew that holds me accountable for finishing this doggone dissertation.

4.) You want to hire me as a member of your faculty, and you want to ensure that I'm not going to be ABD forever!

5.) You enjoy reading stories about impossibly cute toddlers and the trials and tribulations of toddler parents.

So if you are reading, leave me a comment. I'd love to hear from you.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 8/03/2005 10:01:00 PM  
1 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 7:28 PM, Blogger New Kid on the Hallway said…

    Hi - just found you from a comment over at Dr. Crazy's. I'm a sucker for the academic blogs - as the saying goes, misery loves company! :-)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER