Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Wednesday, August 31, 2005
Haircuts and Hurricanes
I took ST to get his hair cut this morning -- he was starting to look a little shaggy. So, off we trudged to Cost Cutters, where his pal Kristy snipped off his pale blond locks and gave him a pencil pouch with fish on it as a prize for being good. As he sat in the chair, wearing his red polo shirt and jeans, and grinning up at me cheesily, I giggled a little when I realized who he looked like. Not his dad, not me, not anyone in our families... no, my son is literally the spitting image of Calvin. This Calvin:


Honestly, this is an accurate a portrait as any taken by my digital camera. When I told Kristy this, she burst out laughing. "Oh my God!" she cried, "He IS Calvin!" Funny thing is, when his hair is a little long it sticks up all over the place, just like Calvin's does in the majority of Watterson's comics. And dare I say that my son also has Calvin's mischievous streak?

Silliness aside, I was impressed this morning when, while we were driving to the mall to buy a new garment bag for my trip tomorrow, ST asked, "Mom, what's 'Mississippi?'" We were listening to NPR's coverage of the hurricane damage. I explained to him that Mississippi was a place far away, and that there were a lot of people hurt there because of a hurricane. "What's a hurricane?" he asked. I explained that it was a big storm with a lot of wind and rain, and that sometimes the rain came into people's houses so that there was water all over the floor. "Like a big bathtub?" he asked. "Yes," I responded, "like a big bathtub."

"Water on the floor is not good," he said, recalling the many times I've chastised him for dumping water from his bath on our bathroom floor. I told him that people in Mississippi had water all over their houses.

"Mississippi is a big mess," he said. How true, I thought. How true.

Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 8/31/2005 12:56:00 PM  
1 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 5:26 PM, Blogger BrightStar said…

    he sounds wise for a young one... and how cute that he looks like Calvin!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER