Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Thursday, August 25, 2005
Easy to Please
I love it when a plan starts to come together, and when I get even small pieces of good news that give me that small adrenaline rush that feels like there are butterflies in my stomach.

1.) I think I actually will have an apartment in Berlin within the next few days. A retired teacher is looking for a flatmate for a few months at the end of this year; she wants academics only. That's me! And only 300 Euros/month, AND she has DSL -- huge bonus.

2.) Just received an email from a small liberal arts college that said that, while they have decided not to interview at our major conference, they "eagerly await" my full application for the Assistant Professor position and they are "very much interested" in me based on my CV. Maybe they say that to everyone, but it sure made me feel good.

3.) My second advisor, Prof. C., just finished my re-revised chapters and said, "I just read your chapters. Good work! This is really shaping up nicely now." That is a HUGE compliment coming from him. Every time I receive an email from him, I get all panicky before I open it, expecting the worst. He usually sends incredibly vague emails that go something like this: "I just read your chapters, and I've put them in your mailbox. Stop by and see me when you can." No indication of whether or not he liked what I wrote, just a message that makes me all flustered until I can chat with him in his office. I much prefer the direct "good work" email that he sent me yesterday.

That's all for today, so far. Time to get back to reading more documents. (They're actually pretty interesting, but they make my brain hurt. Or maybe my head hurts because I've worn my hair in a ponytail for five straight days? Hmmm. At any rate: ouch.)
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 8/25/2005 01:27:00 PM  
2 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 8:50 PM, Blogger La Lecturess said…

    It doesn't sound like you're easy to please--all that sounds like genuinely great news! Congratulations!

    (Incidentally, my advisor is just like yours--I've received so many email messages that say, "I've read your chapter. Can we meet next week?"--so I definitely recognize the compliment in this one.)

     
  • At 8:59 PM, Blogger ABDmom said…

    Yay! Good news all around!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER