Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Wednesday, July 27, 2005
Wednesday's Plan of Attack for Thursday

The thing that annoys me the most about being ABD is the lack of a concrete schedule. I have no more classes to work around, no exams to study for, and (now that I'm on a 12-month fellowship) no classes to teach. Big, wide open days where the only constraints are to drop N off at daycare at 8:00am and pick him up again at 4:30pm. I feel like I HAVE to accomplish something in that time, and if I don't, I feel like I've wasted a bunch of money on childcare, wasted time I should've been writing a few pages on the dissertation, and wasted time I should've been spending with my adorable toddler. It's a difficult situation.

This is Wednesday, and I have N home on Wednesdays. It's like our mid-week weekend; we have friends over, we play, we go to swimming lessons. But tomorrow is Thursday again, and I need a plan of attack. So here it is, in writing:

8:00-8:15am: drop N off at daycare.
9:00am: drop off car at dealer to fix the whistling windshield*
10:00am: at the University for a meeting with Prof. C about dissertation chapters
11:00-1:00pm: in the library, working on teaching and research statements
1:00pm: meeting with colleague to proofread an article for him
2:00-3:30pm: periodical search for case study I of Chapter Four
3:30pm: ride to dealership; drive home
4:30pm: pick up N

That's it. That's what I'm doing tomorrow.

*Better be covered under the warranty, or I'll be steamed.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 7/27/2005 03:19:00 PM  
0 Words of Wisdom:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER