Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Thursday, July 28, 2005
On Weddings and More Important Days

First of all let me note that I do not watch much television, because I can't sit still very long. But when I do watch television and I'm all by myself, I definitely tend toward trashy, stupid, mindless shows. Tonight, after everyone was asleep and I was in the family room finishing my ice cream, I tuned into the WE Network's positively brainless show "Bridezillas." Good Lord.

Those who know me know that weddings are one of my pet peeves. I hate hearing about them, I hate receiving invitations, I hate looking at bridal registries, I hate talking to frazzled brides, and most of all, I hate going to weddings. This hatred for all things wedding-related started before my own wedding, and has only deepened since then. I hate how fake weddings are, how ridiculous everyone acts at a wedding, how needlessly expensive they are, and how so many couples neglect preparing for the marriage in favor of preparing for the reception. I also think the sense that "this is the most important day of my life" is so misguided -- no, it's not the BEST day of your life, it's just one of many really good days. I can think of scores of days I've had since my wedding that were far superior to that one day in June, nice though it was. The sense of entitlement brides have the closer their wedding day comes is also annoying -- there is nothing worse than a bride who thinks that the world revolves around her and her "perfect day." And there's nothing less attractive in the whole world than seeing perfectly rational people getting frazzled over the color of the napkins at the reception. The absurdity of it all blows the mind.

So, as you can imagine, "Bridezillas" was one of the most painful shows I've ever had the displeasure to watch. My blood is still boiling after watching idiot "Magdalena" spend $69,000 on her wedding, leaving a swath of bad relationships and huge bills in her wake. If I saw a friend self-destructing like that over one day, I would have to lead an intervention. Actually, I'd probably just have to avoid that friend until after the wedding. I will not be in any weddings, bar that of my sister, if she wants me. Weddings make me crabby.

And there are days that are so much more important. Today, for example, was a pretty good day because Prof. C was really excited about my chapters and we had a great, dynamic discussion about how they could flow better, about what comes next, etc. For the first time in a long while, I was having fun with my dissertation topic. That is a milestone just as important as any Saturday in June ever will be.

Moving along -- a plan for Friday:

8:00am: drop N off at daycare
8:20-9:00: quick house tidying, load of laundry or two
9:00-12:00pm: work on revised outlines of Chs. 2 and 3 for Prof. C
12:00-1:00pm: lunch break, read mail
1:00-4:00pm: work on teaching and research statements
4:00-4:30pm: prep work for supper
4:30pm: pick up N from daycare
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 7/28/2005 11:21:00 PM  
0 Words of Wisdom:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER